Some Fostex questions
Jan 24, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #16 of 25
Interesting, just removed attenuation rings and I like the change. TH600 sound more relaxed and less treble aggressive, can go up in volume without squinting when highs hit sharp. Overall they feel less V shaped.
This is with Dekoni TH900 Sheepskin pads (round opening, same as OEM). Guess rings are more for oval opening pads.

EDIT: Attenuation rings went back in. While more relaxing, TH600 sounded unfocused and lost some bite and details, bass also become less controlled (fuzzy) without them.
Ordered AHG pads with oval opening, hopefully they would be ideal pairing for the rings.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #17 of 25
@Deleeh, thanks for AHG pads recommendation, they are some bad boys for sure. Combined with attenuation rings bass is super hard and tight, bigger soundstage, can't hear any treble sharpness, but I also have Lawton dampening mod on driver side.
Super comfortable, like a pillow with ears fully fitting inside deep opening, much more stable on the head due to that too.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• 0125221835-SharpenAI-Focus.jpg
    0125221835-SharpenAI-Focus.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #18 of 25
Oh man guys.

Fostex Th 610,Fostex Tr x00,Emu,Denon D2000&5000 headphones have the same driver.
Except for the Denon D2000 which comes with plastic cups as standard, they all differ in the type of wood.

The Th900 doesn't because it's more powerful.
I don't know exactly what Fostex uses as a cup material, but there are also different versions available.

The Lawtonmod cup is quite similar in construction but still different.
The cups are sturdier, better made and have much more body and are available in pretty much all types of wood depending on what is available and in demand.

There is nothing more to the basic principle.
Next to the pads, the cups have the most influence.
The cups form the basic sound depending on the type of wood.
The pads tend to be more the fine-tuning.
And the finer tuning might be a little more fine-tuning on the Eq, but that's not a must.

And there is nothing more to be said about the basic principle.
The drivers can be exchanged with each other in the event of a defect - everything else is nonsense.
The driver of the Th 600 does not sound better or different than that of the Denon D5000 as an example.

In fact, the drivers sound better when they are older than when they are new. The D2000 I have simply plays softer and smoother than the Tr X00, despite modding to Rosewood.
But it is much more in the subtle range.
You have to be quite involved with it and have done some things yourself to get there to hear it.

The Dekoni ring can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the pad and is okay.
But you can do it yourself if you want.

The pads from Dekoni are not so recommendable.
Better are the Ahg that can be found on Amazon in combination with the Dekoni rings.
Stick pads can be bought from Fostex if you want.
The Yaxi and Zmf pads are also relatively good and popular.

Most of the information can be found in other threads and forums.
Can anyone clarify that the d2000 are the same drivers? I was under the impression that they used a different one.

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 25
Hello,
ist the same driver as i write before.
The only thing is the D2000 have plastic cups the D5000 and other phones wood cups.
Thank you! Where did you get this information?

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 25
Interesting, just removed attenuation rings and I like the change. TH600 sound more relaxed and less treble aggressive, can go up in volume without squinting when highs hit sharp. Overall they feel less V shaped.
This is with Dekoni TH900 Sheepskin pads (round opening, same as OEM). Guess rings are more for oval opening pads.

EDIT: Attenuation rings went back in. While more relaxing, TH600 sounded unfocused and lost some bite and details, bass also become less controlled (fuzzy) without them.
Ordered AHG pads with oval opening, hopefully they would be ideal pairing for the rings.
I can't believe the difference these rings make. The tr-x00 pads with the ring sewn in sound very warm and full, with tight bass. My AHG pads without a ring sound airy and open but also maybe a bit fatiguing with the V-shape. It's hard to choose, it also depends on the recording.

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 25
@Deleeh, thanks for AHG pads recommendation, they are some bad boys for sure. Combined with attenuation rings bass is super hard and tight, bigger soundstage, can't hear any treble sharpness, but I also have Lawton dampening mod on driver side.
Super comfortable, like a pillow with ears fully fitting inside deep opening, much more stable on the head due to that too.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Update on these pads. Reverted back to Dekoni TH900 which to my ears provide more balanced and even response.
These huge AHG pads with attenuation rings sound exciting at first with much harder hitting bass, but mids are sucked out and the whole thing feels incoherent and cavernous. Perhaps oval pads are not really meant for TH600/TH900 designed with round pads opening in mind.
If anyone interested, PM me, will let them go along with Dekoni attenuation rings.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #25 of 25
So slapping a pair of X00 cups on a d2000 turns it into a th-x00 with slightly different cable and headband structure?

Edit: the internal mounting system is different for the d2000 vs the thx00, currently working on a fix to test.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back