Some Europeans questions about UNC screws and aluminum Hammond
Jun 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Zigis

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for nice button socket screws for Hammond 1455 aluminum enclosures. So far I use 3.5mm self tapping screws for metal. This works, but self tapping screws are usually with ugly heads.
Hammond datasheet say #6 screws, so I find thees nice black 6-32 screws:
http://www.fastener-express.com/6-32-x-12-button-head-cap-screw-stainless-black-oxide-qty-100.aspx

So, my question are:

1.  are thees 6-32 the same #6 ? 

2. Can I use thees screws as self tapping in aluminum Hammond, or I need special tapping tool?

3.  And last - hex socket size is 5/64, I calculate, this is 1.953mm. Can metric 2mm key fit? Anyone trying in real life?

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 9
1. Yes.
2. Try it once without tapping the hole. When the screw breaks off in the case you will know to do it the right way the next time. :wink:
3.  2mm is to big.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks MisterX, then I am going to order right tools.

I use 3mm tick front panels, are 3/8 screws long enough? After 3mm panel 6.3mm is left for Hammond's extruded canal.
Is it enough for trusty long life using with regular battery changing, or better ordering 1/2 screws? What is your experience?

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Welcome to forum, radjuga!

Of course I know those shops, perfect if you need to just screw something, bit harder if you care for look, better then average. And of course all screws only metric, no "american" screws.
Anyway, I find screws in US, tapping tool in China and 5/64 hex key somewhere else. I am really big fan of globalization :)

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 9
If you're going to use #6-32 UNC screw with a hammond enclosure, you can simply tap the holes with the "stock" hammond screw first. 
smily_headphones1.gif

The hammond enclosures come with 6-32 taptites, these are a self tapping screw that cuts a standard thread, so any 6-32 screw of same length or shorter, already has a thread cut for it without using a standalone tap.

Easier than trying to cut a thread with a socket screw, also easier than using an regular 3-flute tap as these don't work so well in non-round holes.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Welcome to forum, radjuga!

Of course I know those shops, perfect if you need to just screw something, bit harder if you care for look, better then average. And of course all screws only metric, no "american" screws.
Anyway, I find screws in US, tapping tool in China and 5/64 hex key somewhere else. I am really big fan of globalization :)

blink.gif
I'm impressed or so

Anyway good luck
wink_face.gif

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
If you're going to use #6-32 UNC screw with a hammond enclosure, you can simply tap the holes with the "stock" hammond screw first. 
smily_headphones1.gif

The hammond enclosures come with 6-32 taptites, these are a self tapping screw that cuts a standard thread, so any 6-32 screw of same length or shorter, already has a thread cut for it without using a standalone tap.

Easier than trying to cut a thread with a socket screw, also easier than using an regular 3-flute tap as these don't work so well in non-round holes.

Thanks for practical hints, I would not imagined, taping tool work not so well in thees holes.
Now I need to find screws with length - original screws length + 3mm (my front panel thickness)

edit   Find it - 6-32 x 3/8 looks like perfect for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back