Some DAP advice
May 23, 2024 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

somefunnybits

New Head-Fier
Afternoon all,

Apologies that this is somewhat of a cross themes thread. I've read through a lot but was hoping for some quite specifc advice. I've always been a DAP user (bought my first MP3 player back in 2004, the Philips HDD120/05) but other than the Plenue D, which was a big outlay for me at the time, have only recently started getting into the more audiophile end of the market.

I've been bouncing around different dongle dacs for the last 18 months or so (the Questyle M15 being my favourite) but due to my current phone being dogsh*t when it comes to audio (Pixel 7) and not playing consistently well with any of them and my contract not being up for another 12 months I'm going to invest in a better DAP. My budget is around £500/$650 and my sound signature preferences are warmer and musical but I also really appreciate a wide/tall/holographic soundstage. I'm not bothered about buying second hand and the only real software need I have is Tidal streaming preferably but I'll mainly be using it for the playing back of a large ripped cd library.

I considered going down the LG L... route, either as a new phone or a dedicated player, but I have a few too many iems/headphones/buds with a 4.4 termination to make this viable. Power output isn't particularly important as although I have a few stupidly high impedance earbuds (I'm looking at you Yinman) I've got a Topping NX7 which I can use and although I'm looking for portability I'm not looking for something that needs to fit in a pocket as I'll be doing the majority of my listening in the office/on trains or other places that I can set myself up.

I'll mostly be using lower mid range IEMs (Myer Audio CKLVX CK-D41, Final A5000, Simgot EA500LM), a few earbuds (TGX Ear Serratus ,Yinman 600 ohm, VE Zen 3.0) and a pair of Hifiman EditionXS. Anything I save on the DAP can go towards a more expensive pair of IEMS (that's a whole other thread).

My current thoughts are a Hiby R6 Pro ii, Hiby R6 3, Shanling M5 Ultra, if I can find it in stock, or if I can hold out a couple of months a FiiO M23 (this is my least favourite option simply because I've got some travelling to do before I can afford this one). The Cayin N3 Ultra also winked at me just for the novelty of having the tubes and the improved stage this is meant to offer.

Any thoughts/opinions really appreciated. This is likely to have to be a blind buy as I've not really got anywhere local to test units out.

TLDR: what's your favourite DAP around the £500/$650 mark and why.

Cheers

May 23, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 7
Favorite at that price range would he the Lotoo PAW 6000 (especially used price).

Small with a very long battery life. And a playback that has a really slammy bass.

But it's tone is overall reference-neutral, not warm. But let me emphasize again, despite not being warm it has a really punchy bass!

Too bad it doesn't have a way to stream Tidal though. It does have 5-bands of assignable pEQ as a feature.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 7
Favorite at that price range would he the Lotoo PAW 6000.

Small with a very long battery life. And a playback that has a really slammy bass.

But it's tone is overall reference-neutral, not warm. But let me emphasize again, despite not being warm it has a really punchy bass!

Too bad it doesn't have a way to stream Tidal though. It does have 5-bands of assignable pEQ as a feature.
Thanks very much for this. This wasn't even on my radar so will definitely have a look.

May 23, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Afternoon all,

Apologies that this is somewhat of a cross themes thread. I've read through a lot but was hoping for some quite specifc advice. I've always been a DAP user (bought my first MP3 player back in 2004, the Philips HDD120/05) but other than the Plenue D, which was a big outlay for me at the time, have only recently started getting into the more audiophile end of the market.

I've been bouncing around different dongle dacs for the last 18 months or so (the Questyle M15 being my favourite) but due to my current phone being dogsh*t when it comes to audio (Pixel 7) and not playing consistently well with any of them and my contract not being up for another 12 months I'm going to invest in a better DAP. My budget is around £500/$650 and my sound signature preferences are warmer and musical but I also really appreciate a wide/tall/holographic soundstage. I'm not bothered about buying second hand and the only real software need I have is Tidal streaming preferably but I'll mainly be using it for the playing back of a large ripped cd library.

I considered going down the LG L... route, either as a new phone or a dedicated player, but I have a few too many iems/headphones/buds with a 4.4 termination to make this viable. Power output isn't particularly important as although I have a few stupidly high impedance earbuds (I'm looking at you Yinman) I've got a Topping NX7 which I can use and although I'm looking for portability I'm not looking for something that needs to fit in a pocket as I'll be doing the majority of my listening in the office/on trains or other places that I can set myself up.

I'll mostly be using lower mid range IEMs (Myer Audio CKLVX CK-D41, Final A5000, Simgot EA500LM), a few earbuds (TGX Ear Serratus ,Yinman 600 ohm, VE Zen 3.0) and a pair of Hifiman EditionXS. Anything I save on the DAP can go towards a more expensive pair of IEMS (that's a whole other thread).

My current thoughts are a Hiby R6 Pro ii, Hiby R6 3, Shanling M5 Ultra, if I can find it in stock, or if I can hold out a couple of months a FiiO M23 (this is my least favourite option simply because I've got some travelling to do before I can afford this one). The Cayin N3 Ultra also winked at me just for the novelty of having the tubes and the improved stage this is meant to offer.

Any thoughts/opinions really appreciated. This is likely to have to be a blind buy as I've not really got anywhere local to test units out.

TLDR: what's your favourite DAP around the £500/$650 mark and why.

Cheers
I prefer the R6 Pro II over WM1AM2 for DD IEMs. It's the closest sounding DAP (in Class-A mode) to my Mojo 2. It has decent battery life, decent FHD screen and system-wide SRC bypass. It's always a game of compromise with portable sources, there's no, one device that can do it all.
The DAP is heavy and you have to remember to charge two devices. I mostly end up leaving the R6 Pro II and just pick the airpods pro 2 when heading out.
I'm also looking at some dongle DACs now, for active use.

May 23, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 7
I prefer the R6 Pro II over WM1AM2 for DD IEMs. It's the closest sounding DAP (in Class-A mode) to my Mojo 2. It has decent battery life, decent FHD screen and system-wide SRC bypass. It's always a game of compromise with portable sources, there's no, one device that can do it all.
The DAP is heavy and you have to remember to charge two devices. I mostly end up leaving the R6 Pro II and just pick the airpods pro 2 when heading out.
I'm also looking at some dongle DACs now, for active use.
Thanks for your thoughts. The R6 Pro ii seems to be the sweet spot in terms of my use case. As mentioned I'm not that fussed over the battery life and size as I'll mostly be using it at home or in the office but just want access to my music (and Tidal). If it weren't for the serious issues I have with my phone's comparability with dongle DACs I would have been more than happy with the Questyle M15 as it sounds absolutely beautiful. Like you I'm more than happy with my Melomania M100's and phone for proper on the go listening.

What are your thoughts on the Mojo 2 if you don't mind me asking? It's always winked at me but I've never pulled the trigger?

May 23, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 7
Mojo 2 is great value and if you add the poly you can use it wirelessly. Both are going for relatively reasonable prices in the used market now.
I did trade my Sony WM1AM2 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back