Some CMOY problems
Jun 1, 2006 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

barkas

Head-Fier
I built a pretty standard CMOY, first on breadboard, then I made my own PCB (a pretty nice one, too
smily_headphones1.gif
) for it. OPA2132 and all the values in the schematic by tangent. I used 1% metal film resistors and matched them most carefully as well as my multimeter can, to 0.1% usually.

So, now when I have no source connected, the amp hums, not excessively, but it's a bit noisy, as soon as I connect a source (ipod), the humming goes away.

That was the simple one, or the one I can live with.

Then, despite my resistor matching, the left channel is a little bit louder than the right one. I verified that it's not the headphones nor the source doing that.

I use input capacitors at 0.1uF that look like this one:
460737_BB_00_FB.EPS.gif

and 220uF electrolytic capacitors for the power supply.

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Check your grounding. If the grounds look okay, then I would make sure you don't have a soldering problem, perhaps due to a combination of impatience and large ground planes.

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 4
An update:

The AC part of the output has no measurable difference with my means, well, maybe 1mV at 170mV signal level.
But the DC output is 1.6mV for one channel and 6.6mV for the other. Can that be heared? And what do I do about it?

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
But the DC output is 1.6mV for one channel and 6.6mV for the other. Can that be heared? And what do I do about it?

A small amount of DC offset is normal, and harmless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back