dgcrane

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about picking up one of these cables off of ebay,,,,

Mogami 2528 Professional Unbalanced Y-Cable
1/8 Mini TRS <-> Dual Left/Right RCA - 5 Feet Black

•MOGAMI 2528 DUAL UNBALANCED AUDIO CABLE
•CANARE F-12 1/8" MINI TRS CONNECTOR
•NEUTRIK NYS 352 SERIES RCA CONNECTORS

It would be my plan to chop off the dual left/right RCA and solder those ends to my Grado 225i, I know nothing about wires and cabling in general, so would appreciate some advice if that would work for me. Even though there are four wires in each cup for my 225s, I assume that using 2 wires for each ? I am also assuming that the RCA connectors I am gonna chop off would have 2 wires :) ?

Thanks
Darren
dgcrane

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Have you considered ordering the parts and making the cable yourself?

You can find Mogami cable and all sorts of 3.5mm plugs for cheap. If you're comfortable enough to solder wires to your Grados, building a cable yourself shouldn't be too daunting. :)

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the response... I am not comfortable at all with soldering. I have honestly never soldering anything in my life.

I do have a buddy that would be willing to help me and who is capible with soldering. I am really just having a problem trying to figure out what I would need for this project, so while I would have no objection to making my own, I am just a little unclear where and how to start. I was looking on ebay at mogami cable, is it mic cable that should be used ? I have been looking for a while for a basic schema how this should be done, but to this point have been unsuccessful.

regards,
Darren

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 7
I would be concerned that after you cut off the RCA plugs you are not left with a long enough tail to make a reasonable Y-split to headphone distance so you would not be much better off than just buying raw parts and going from scratch. One typically wants 1-2ft between the Y-split and the headphones.

On the note of not being sure what to do, where and whatnot. thats how to learn :) read the cable tutorial threads a bunch.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I do have a buddy that would be willing to help me and who is capible with soldering. I am really just having a problem trying to figure out what I would need for this project, so while I would have no objection to making my own, I am just a little unclear where and how to start. I was looking on ebay at mogami cable, is it mic cable that should be used ? I have been looking for a while for a basic schema how this should be done, but to this point have been unsuccessful.

It's easiest to go with a quad-conductor cable. I'm partial to the Mogami 2893 myself, it is very easy to work with and the fact that the internal wires are all colored differently saves some time and hassle when wiring. Of course, if you go with a cable that doesn't have distinct coloring, using a multimeter can sort that out.

For unbalanced, your (TRS) plug will have three prongs to solder on. One prong each for left(tip), right(ring), and ground(sleeve). If using 4conductor cable, you solder one wire for left, one for right, and the last two for ground. Using a multimeter, you can determine which wire is your left signal, and wire that to the correct solder pad on the left driver. Same for the right signal. Then with the two ground wires, you send one to the left cup and the other to the right cup.

It's not really difficult. Just be careful when you have the iron on the solder pads as leaving it on there too long can kill the driver. Perhaps try making a few interconnects first to get used to it.

Good luck if you decide to build your own! I'm sure you can find more information around here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back