Some advice needed
May 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, heres the deal, I purchased some DT770s 80 ohm version for my portable rig with an E11 as the amp, but there is just too much bass for my taste. I don't want lean bass, but I also don't want as much bass as the 770 produces. The E11 is perhaps a small part of the problem, but the 770s on my Valhalla and SS integrated are still bass heavy for me.

I'm sure there are many who really like a strong bass signature, and that is wonderful, but for me these are bass heavy. So I need a set of headphones for about the $140 I paid for these that would do the treble and mids nicely like the 770, but with less bass. If there is anybody who has experience with the 770 and a suitable alternative I would really appreciate your suggestions. Anybody please reply as I am more than happy to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

May 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 14
I know these don't get mentioned as much recently, but you could give the Shure 840's a try.  I picked up a pair of them last year, and they were my first pair I had bought in maybe 10 years ; overall I was very pleased with the sound.  They have bass, but its definitely not boosted in my opinion.

I see them selling for around that range or cheaper.  Amazon has them for like $150 new, you could find them used on the "For Sale" forum here for $100 or less. 

May 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks barid, I will do some research on the 840s. I have read about them in the past, but not as the main focus per say. I will certainly give these some thought. I also like the idea of hearing another sound signature as I have been a Grado, Beyerdynamic user, but never Shures. Cheers.

May 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Ultrasone HFI-780, probably they share a similar sound with the DT770's but not as bass heavy. 

May 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 14
An Ultrsone eh? Wouldn't mind looking into that either, thanks for another great suggestion. I like the idea of new sound signatures and I also like the German stuff so might be a great fit.

May 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
I know these don't get mentioned as much recently, but you could give the Shure 840's a try.  I picked up a pair of them last year, and they were my first pair I had bought in maybe 10 years ; overall I was very pleased with the sound.  They have bass, but its definitely not boosted in my opinion.

I see them selling for around that range or cheaper.  Amazon has them for like $150 new, you could find them used on the "For Sale" forum here for $100 or less. 

I'll second that. The SRH840 is a fantastic headphone. I'm surprised it isn't as recommended as much as the M50, in which I think is a bit overrated.

May 26, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 14
You people rock, I think there are dealers for both Shure and Ultrasone here in Ottawa so I should be able to actually listen to both companies. I do worry about S-logic as in general I worry about enhancements, but I will listen with an open mind. Thanks again.

May 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 14
Man did my brain freeze! I now know why I suddenly just felt that the DT 770s were out of control. I never use EQs and of course my E11 has one. I forgot about the EQ and I guess when I was cleaning it the EQ switched on to the highest setting. No wonder the bass sounded so horrible and over presented! Since I defeated the EQ the sound signature has returned to a very decent bass presentation. Man am I relieved, I really didn't want to have to do the whole selling and buying thing so soon after having picked up the 770/E11 combination. That said I'm still going to check out the Shures and Ultrasones mentioned here, they sound very interesting. Thanks again, my bad.

May 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #14 of 14
I listen to rock/metal (Tool, Pink Floyd, Rush, Sevendust, Chevelle etc) electronica (Thievery Corporation, Chemical Brothers Nine Inch Nails, Asian Dub Foundation), lots of Peter Gabriel, Dire Straits, some Jazz, Supertramp, Punch Brothers ... Lots of different muisc. Now that I have that damn EQ turned off the 770s are back to what I really enjoy. No headphone can be everything of course, there are always trade-offs. The 770s have plenty of bass, but it is not always very detailed or defined. That said, remember the source has much to do with that. If you are listening to a rock album for instance and the bass is mastered very prominently and without much range then you really can't hope the headphone will change that. The 770s have very nice mids, treble and overall a very nice presentation, the bass is full, but as mentioned not perfectly balanced by being a little over emphasized I think. I still think the 770 is a really nice headphone and the small trade off in bass accuracy is well compensated by the overall musicality and comfort of the headphones. If you like engaging headphones and enjoy bass as a significant part of the sound signature of your headphones then you will enjoy the 770s my friend. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back