[SOLVED, read for lolz =P] Weird low pitched sound problem, What?
Feb 11, 2011 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Vitor Machado

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, yes, I'm using onboard audio. But it's pretty good actually, it has no background noise at all (even with in-ear headphones), and has a decent RMAA measure.

So, I just turned on the computer today, and the sound had a weird lower pitch, kinda like if the instruments were out of tune. It's not noise, it's the sound itself...
Coincidentally (or not?) it was the next boot after I installed Skype in the computer, so I thought it might have somehow caused it.
Uninstalled Skype, uninstalled audio drivers, reinstalled audio drivers. Problem was still there.

So as I had given up all hope, it cured itself and is completely normal now. What?!

Could it be a DAC/opamp problem?

Thanks.
wink.gif

EDIT: Oh, and it's not a problem with my speakers, headphones also had the problem (and through the front port also).

EDIT 2: Two days ago we had a sudden and fast electric drop for a moment (not enough to turn the computer off), could it somehow be related? Is audio equipment so susceptible to damage by electrical variations?

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 19
Oh wow.
Any hardware changes lately?  Any other software changes?

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
Oh wow.
Any hardware changes lately?  Any other software changes?

None at all (except for Windows updates, typical stuff). Well, just Skype as I mentioned...
Though it's hard to believe this could've been software related.

I did a visual inspection of the motherboard (Asus M4A785TD-M Evo) and everything seems to be ok.

EDIT: It just did some weird crackling sounds for 2 seconds, and normalized. Is my onboard chip dying?
Two days ago we had a sudden and fast electric drop for a moment (not enough to turn the computer off), could it somehow be related?

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 19
Take a second look at the capacitors in the motherboard.  It could be a hardware defect.
I had similar issues once with a soundcard, but now I don't remember if the issue was a faulty cap somewhere or electronic interference from another component.

Are you using a video card?  Any other hardware that is not integrated into the motherboard?

It is possible the voltage drop may be related, but I really doubt it.  Any issues with your hard drive?

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
It is possible the voltage drop may be related, but I really doubt it.  Any issues with your hard drive?

I know what you're thinking, but the hard drive is fine. Apparently everything is fine, so I really doubt it was caused by the drop either, but you never know...

Quote:
Mad Max said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you using a video card?  Any other hardware that is not integrated into the motherboard?

Yes, AMD HD5750. But I've had this computer for a year (with the VGA), and never had a single problem with the sound.

Quote:
Mad Max said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Take a second look at the capacitors in the motherboard.  It could be a hardware defect.
I had similar issues once with a soundcard, but now I don't remember if the issue was a faulty cap somewhere or electronic interference from another component.

This motherboard uses solid polymer capacitors, said to be more reliable. I had a good look at the capacitors and everything seemed fine. I might double check later...

Thanks for the replies so far.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Check the audio settings.  I.e. maybe the microphone setting for skype.

On Windows settings, Rear mic is muted, but Front mic is not muted. Though I'm fairly sure the VIA driver disables front input if the jack is unplugged.
Anyway I muted it for now (not using the mic), so let's see.

But still, it wouldn't explain the lower pitch problem, just the crackling noise...
frown.gif

Actually I'm not sure that was "pitch".... Acoustic guitar sounded like it was out of tune.

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
This motherboard uses solid polymer capacitors, said to be more reliable. I had a good look at the capacitors and everything seemed fine. I might double check later...

Thanks for the replies so far.
wink.gif

They all do as far as I know, but faulty caps do slip through the cracks now and then and end up in your equipment.  =\
At the very least, it is not a difficult problem to fix, especially if you can solder.  If it is not a hardware problem then it definitely has to be a software problem of some sort.
What OS updates were installed before you noticed the issues?

Edit: Pitch change definitely has to a software issue now that I begin to remember.

Edit2: make sure Windows resampling is set to 44.1kHz.

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
They all do as far as I know, but faulty caps do slip through the cracks now and then and end up in your equipment.  =\

Maybe the newer ones, but most older motherboards used normal electrolytic caps.

Quote:
What OS updates were installed before you noticed the issues?

Just definition updates for Windows Defender, no big deal...

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
Edit: Pitch change definitely has to a software issue now that I begin to remember.

Well after I uninstalled/reinstalled the driver it still hasn't happened again (and it only ever happened once, yesterday moments before I posted), so only time will tell I guess...

But the crackling noise today was strange too. I really don't think it was due to the Mic not being muted, because I'm fairly sure it never was muted, and it never happened before...

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 19
Check the advanced settings of your "speakers" under Playback Devices.  Turn all DSPs off if they are not.

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Check the advanced settings of your "speakers" under Playback Devices.  Turn all DSPs off if they are not.

They're all turned off.

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 19
What software are you using for audio playback?

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #14 of 19
Edit: doubles post

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
What software are you using for audio playback?

Didn't matter, happened with system sounds, YouTube, Winamp and foobar2000.

It's hard to track this problem now, since it just happened once (lasted for 10~15 minutes)... But boy what a strange problem that was, never heard something like that before.
confused.gif

Now I'm considering getting a Xonar DX together with my new headphones (probably some Sennheiser HD5xx)  next month...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back