[Solved] Looking for someone in Sydney to test possible Faulty Amperiors
Oct 25, 2013 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cwongtech

New Head-Fier
Has anyone heard of faulty amperiors?
My one sounds very boomy, dark (bass), and the middle, highs are all... sort of muffled.
Even the ATH-m50s sound better.
Vocals - sounds like someone is singing with fingers pinching their nose :|
Sounds nothing like the glorified reviews..

Last time I heard them in the Apple Store (George St, Sydney), when they were first released $550, I remember them being clear, and sounding almost exactly the same as my HD228s (Foam taken out), so I wasn't overly impressed with them (for the price of $550 at least).

The ones I have are from StoreDJ during their stealth sale, so I got them for $186 AUD delivered, but they don't sound like what I remember them to be..
Is that the way Amperiors are supposed to sound? Or are mine for sure, faulty?
Anyone in Sydney North Shore/UNSW able to help me out by letting me test my amperiors against yours to confirm? Apple store no longer stocks them, I don't think JBHIFI has them on display either..

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 4
To anyone else who looks onto this thread: it just needed a lot of time to burn-in.
I would not hesitate to say again I was severely disappointed for the Amperiors right out-of-the-box.

The Amperiors do sound very close to the HD228s with the foam removed. Note I'm fairly sure there are two versions of the HD228s floating around (having owned 3, first two were the same, third was the different one, 1 from Mymemory.co.uk (first pair), 2nd from sennheiser australia/syntec, 3rd from sennheiser australia/syntec, warranty ran out and I decided to learn how to replace the jack via soldering), the HD228s do sound airier, and I do prefer their sound over the Amperiors. The Amperior's bass is slightly boomer than the HD228s (foam removed), isolation is amazing, I wouldn't call it a death-clamp like New ATH-M50s, but it is quite tight, and coming from old HD228s (can slip off from just nodding violently), I wouldn't say you would not notice the Amperiors on your head.
Isolation wise it is quite good.

Would I buy this product again @ $186? If there were no HD228/HD229 available for cheap, yes. I definitely wouldn't buy them at their ridiculous RRP though.
HD228s sound amazing with their foam removed, and I do prefer their sound over the Amperiors. However, the HD228s, being so light and comfortable, do lose out severely on sound leakage, people will think you're blasting your ears to pieces, with the HD228s.

If you don't give a crap about people around you, HD228/HD229 are the way to go, better sound, better price. It's interesting to note that the HD229 seems to be just a cosmetic change over the HD228, yet their reviews are higher than the HD228s.
If you need to have no leakage (library), then the Amperiors are better in that sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back