[Solved!] How to eliminate stuttering in audio players?
Jun 29, 2016 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
[Update: Solved with the solution in this post!]

No matter which buffer settings I use, I can't get music to stop stuttering. (Suddenly stopping, then resuming again, repeatedly at random intervals.) Sometimes it doesn't stutter at all for awhile, and other times it's severe.

My computer has pretty good specs (Intel Core i7-640UM 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64-bit) and I always use bitperfect output modes (ASIO, KS, WASAPI).

I have tried all sorts of players, and they all do this on my computer, with the exception of JPLAY, which writes tracks/playlists into memory before playback and never stutters. foobar2000 can also do this, but apparently it does it in a different way, because even then it still stutters.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate stuttering altogether?

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 41
It'd be worth running Windows Task-Manager  (hold down CTRL-ALT-Delete, simultaneously, and choose 'Start Task Manager')

...to check the CPU usage graph, when you're experiencing drop-outs:

(image missing) 

or, even better, run Sysinternals Process Explorer, as it allows you to more clearly see I/O transfers, CPU cycles, etc. etc.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 41
  And are you using a USB 2 or USB 3 port?

It'd be worth running Windows Task-Manager  (hold down CTRL-ALT-Delete, simultaneously, and choose 'Start Task Manager')

...to check the CPU usage graph, when you're experiencing drop-outs:

or, even better, run Sysinternals Process Explorer, as it allows you to more clearly see I/O transfers, CPU cycles, etc. etc.

So if I do notice something, what's the next step?

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 41
There's a number of possibilities - I'm not a world-expert on this issue, and I've only started with a couple of possibilities, to get the troubleshooting ball rolling.

If you can see that one of the graphs in Process Explorer is obviously hitting maximum peaks, then you can investigate (also within Process Explorer) what may be responsible.

Are you using other USB devices, on other motherboard ports, at the same time as your DAC?

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 41
Incidentally, in a computer as well-specified as yours, you must have a USB 3 port available - have you tried plugging the DAC into that, for troubleshooting purposes?

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 41
Are you using other USB devices, on other motherboard ports, at the same time as your DAC?

No.

Incidentally, in a computer as well-specified as yours, you must have a USB 3 port available - have you tried plugging the DAC into that, for troubleshooting purposes?

It's an Alienware M11x R2 laptop. It only has USB 2.0 ports.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 41
OK, well I'm surprised it has no USB 3, with that CPU spec, but putting aside that point, have you run Sysinternals Process Explorer, now?

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 41
  OK, well I'm surprised it has no USB 3, with that CPU spec, but putting aside that point, have you run Sysinternals Process Explorer, now?

I've monitored the Performance tab in Task Manager. The spikes don't seem reliable. Usually, when it spikes (which is fairly often), there is no stutter. Sometimes it will spike to max for extended periods with no stuttering. Other times, it will stutter without much of a spike.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 41

I've monitored the Performance tab in Task Manager. The spikes don't seem reliable. Usually, when it spikes (which is fairly often), there is no stutter. Sometimes it will spike to max for extended periods with no stuttering. Other times, it will stutter without much of a spike.

OK, but which performance parameters have you opened a graph on? is that just the CPU?

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 41
My guess is that some aspect of your computer performance is exceeding the available resources.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 41
Please don't think badly of me, but it is 4:20am, here in the UK, and I really do need to go to sleep in a minute...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back