[SOLVED] HD25-1 II broken, now what?
Jul 30, 2018 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Cak3

New Head-Fier
tl;dr: I broke a voice coil on one speaker. Should I attempt the difficult and expensive repair, buy a single new speaker, or buy new headphones? And if the last option, any headphones better than the HD25s at around the same $150 price point? (For music production and portability+durability)

So, I normally have issues with the connections of the cup to the cable for years now (which I believe is a common thing for some). I have tried things in the past, including taking it apart and moving around the springs, etc. So I'm not a stranger of the inside of my headphones. However, recently, as I opened up to attempt to clean the springs, the tool I used to pull up the plastic piece probably caught on the voice cable, and when I opened it, it was already too late.

Now, I've looked at an older thread with the same predicament, and after reading through it, I concluded that I at least needed Alu-sol and a variable temperature soldering iron. The problem is I have none of these. And where I currently live, it won't be easy obtaining Alu-sol. Not only that, but I'm not an expert in soldering by any means, which might be a big issue since I heard it's a tough task to attempt.

So here are the current options I have in mind:
A) I somehow get Alu-sol and a variable temperature iron and attempt to fix it myself. High risk and high cost, but having a good soldering iron and this solder might be a good investment in the future.
B) I buy a new speaker from Sennheiser UK to completely replace the broken one. It's cheaper and easier, but since I'll then have two drivers with much different age, wear-in and exposure, they'd probably have some differences in sound signatures. And then I'd be left with an extra cup.
C) I buy a new pair of HD25s. I have no more issues if I get a new pair (and hopefully no lose connections), and I can save my older pair to revive some time in the future. The least hassle out of all of them, but the most expensive.

What are your thoughts? I'm leaning closer to C, but if there's information I'm wrong about or missing for me to make a better decision, it'd be much appreciated!

On the other hand, if C really is the best approach, but there's a better pair that can do what I want for around the same price as the HD25s, recommendations are welcome. What I'm looking for in headphones are a balanced-ish signature good for music production/mastering, good portable form factor, and will be able to take a beating like the HD25s. Doesn't have to be super flat, but just not overemphasized V signatures or the other way around. I don't think there's anything that can fit better than the HD25s, but I'm open to being proven completely wrong. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Option C would be my choice. Take a look at the Thinksound On2. I enjoy my HD 25s, mostly for rock, but the On2 blows them away in every aspect imo.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 7
After lots of internal debate, I have concluded that I should go with C and buy different headphones. So then if I fix my HD25s, I'll have different headphones good at different things (plus different reference points for mixing) instead of two exact headphones. Just seems smarter. (Now I'll finally have more than one pair of headphones)

Option C would be my choice. Take a look at the Thinksound On2. I enjoy my HD 25s, mostly for rock, but the On2 blows them away in every aspect imo.
These headphones look very promising. Looked at several reviews, and sound may be just what I want. And not only does it come with two cables, one has audio control! Something I've come to miss on my HD25s after exposure to the magic of inline controls. Non-proprietary too. It doesn't seem like a tank like the HD25s (and not as light), but they seem robust enough and not fragile by any means. And while I very much prefer the industrial design over the wood these cans are sporting, it's not a big deal (perhaps it will grow on me).

Option C-1. Buy a new pair of SoundMAGIC HP151 headphones. Outstanding.
Looking at these, it seems that they do sound great, but there seems to be a certain factor that push me away from this pair. I've seen multiple comments on the build quality, which apparently isn't anything stellar. That's very important if I'm gonna be bringing it around as portable cans.

I may be decided now. The Thinksound On2 seems great overall, and is even at a good price on Amazon. Thanks for the suggestions!

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 7
For the Amazon price, the On2 is an absolute steal. Better comfort - not as tight of a clamp, with thicker, softer pads. Kills the HD 25 in terms of Soundstage. A little more forward sounding with better bass extension. It's not as aggressive as the HD 25, but it's a micro detail monster. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but it blew me away. The cables are some of the best I've received with any headphones. You should get them. They can hang with some of the bigger cans, even outclass some of them

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 7
So, I got my On2s yesterday, and boy, what a treat they are. Like you said, they're more forward sounding with a noticeably wider soundstage. And while the treble isn't as sharp as the HD25s, it sounds so clean! The bass indeed has more prominence too. I can just barely hear it when in a loud vehicle, compared to the HD25s where I couldn't here the bass at all in the same situation.

One of the best parts about it is how comfortable it feels. The initial moments of putting it on feels like bliss. I never complained about the comfort of the HD25s (except for the first few weeks) and could wear those for a couple of hours. But these. I feel like I could wear them forever. Pair it along with the less fatiguing sound signature, and I probably could.

While I deeply miss the split headband and swiveling left cup, these seem to have my HD25s beaten in most aspects. Now only time will tell to see if it can last as long. Too bad I can't properly compare the sound quality side-by-side.

Anyways, thank you very much Mhog55! Considering how small of a company Thinksound is, I would've never discovered this gem without your recommendation. I'm still awed that I got this at such a price. I'll definitely recommend this to others if it proves to be the perfect companion, and maybe I'll buy another pair in the future :p

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 7
Right on. Glad you like them. They are very pleasing indeed. I wish Thinksound would get with the program and make an over ear headphone. I'm somewhat reluctant to make headphone suggestions, but these are just a no-brainer. An extremely detailed headphone in comparison to the HD 25. I use my HD 25 for running and the gym, because of their attack, plus the tight fit makes me good and angry lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back