Solved: audio-gd Re 9 - DAC: Which OUTPUT CONNECTION to use, +/- 33V or +-/- 15V...? Which is "standard"?
Nov 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ursdiego

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there!

I ordered a Audio-gd Ref 9 DAC. This has two outputs and I am a bit confused, not knowing which one I should use, and also a bit worried about potentially damaging my pre-amplifier.

I own a DNM 3B Primus pre-amp (specs here for the 3C Primus that are the same as for mine: http://www.dnm.co.uk/previouspreamps.html )

It has 5pin-DIN-Line-Inputs. And it sais the following about the input:
Line sensitivity: 150 mV
Line Input impedance: 5.6-47 k-Ohm

Now, on the DAC there seem to be two connections:
-         +15V1 / -15V1
-         +33V / -33V

Which one should I use…….?

more about it here:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE9/RE9EN.htm

I usually connect Chinch-devices like CD-Players or tuners with a simple Chinch – DIN – cable… and I did not know that there are differences in Voltage between connections…

I wrote about that questions to Kingwa, but I did not actually understand his reply:
“The DAC output stage power supply is +/-33V.
The output level is 2.5VRMS.
Do you want to lower the output level?”

I am confused… hopefully one of you technically skilled hifiers can help me!

[size=12pt]Best regards![/size]

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 6
All you really need to do is connect one of the RCA output pairs from the Ref9 to one of the 3 line input pairs of your preamp. You won't damage your preamp. The line input sensitivity of 150mVDC of your preamp just means the minimum DC input voltage required.  The voltages +/-33V and +/-15V are internal to the Ref9 DAC and should not be of concern to you.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you!

However, given that there are two different outputs... which one is a standard Line connection...? Or are both of them standard?

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks, wuwhere! That diagram was just a bit confusing for me - as my skills are others than electronic engineering, and there was no explication to that "33V" and "15V" thing on the website. It made me think, there were two different output types. Good to know that everything is just standard.

Best regards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back