Solution needed: Source switcher
Apr 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

isaios

New Head-Fier
Dear All, 

I have the following set up.

Swan D1080>DAC>MAC
Headphones>AMP>DAC>MAC

What i want to do is connect a turntable to both or one listening platform. Allowing me to listen to vinyl in my study. As well as my stereo in lounge.

So basically i'm looking for a switch where i can switch the source of the audio. 

Thanks in Advance 

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 10
That programme is really cool and have just downloaded and will be a great tool from switching headphone to speaker on the mac, however the turntable is the issue now, i want the turntable to be running on the same circuit and too be able to choose to play on either headphone and speaker. 

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Let me see if I get this straight:
Switch has 2 inputs
1. Mac > DAC > Switch
2. Turntable > Switch

If that's the case, does your turntable have a built in preamp? A DJ mixer ought to do the trick. In fact, I use one (just not for a turntable). Mixers like that have a phono stage, since DJs need to mix 2 sources (at least 1 of which is a turntable).

Edit: I forgot you also want to switch between Speakers and Headphones on output. For that, you could get an AV Selector. Selectors usually have multiple inputs to a single output though, so take note when you search.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 10
So it is a rega planar so i have a pre amp. Mac and Turntable are the too sources of audio. Obviously i do not need a DAC for my turntable so that is not a problem. Say too make this easier all i want to do is; 

Switch > turntable > speakers
Switch > MAC >DAC  > speakers

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 10
Just a minor point, because I'm nitpicky, but it's clearer to point the arrows in the direction of the signal. So in that case:

Turntable > Switch > Speakers/Headphone
Mac > DAC > Switch > Speakers/Headphone

That's a total of 2 inputs and 2 outputs. Again, I'd recommend a mixer--just about any DJ mixer has 2 ins and 2 outs (1x RCA + 1x Headphone). What's important is that you check that it takes line level inputs, and that there's a headphone jack.

A mixer also has a built-in amp, which will be necessary to control the volume on your headphones. AV selectors don't have any means of controlling volume.

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
So it is a rega planar so i have a pre amp. Mac and Turntable are the too sources of audio. Obviously i do not need a DAC for my turntable so that is not a problem. Say too make this easier all i want to do is; 

Switch > turntable > speakers
Switch > MAC >DAC  > speakers

I think this is what you need "http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MON800.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back