Solid State or Tubes?
Aug 1, 2019 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mixman

Headphoneus Supremus
Cannot say I have heard enough amps so I am asking others with more experience, which would be better for my criteria under $2k.......less if possible?

Looking for an amp with......Great detail, extended highs...not too bright, not too warm, excellent 3D soundstaging, dynamic, with deep tuneful bass. Which specific amps on either side SS or Tube, can provide this on my budget?

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I can't figure what you are looking for. an amp, panacea, an eq....? Im ss all the way but lots of pie out there. An amp in its truest sense is wire n gain.... but you seem too be looking for more than that. other than that there lots under 2 g but i have no experience at that PP

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 8
I can't figure what you are looking for. an amp, panacea, an eq....? Im ss all the way but lots of pie out there. An amp in its truest sense is wire n gain.... but you seem too be looking for more than that. other than that there lots under 2 g but i have no experience at that PP
Yes amps are supposed to be wire n gain but they all......including Chord, have their own colorations. What I have listed are the colorations I am concerned about.

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Any more suggestions?

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 8
Pretty much any well-implemented amp should be able to faithfully reproduce recordings and allow the transducers of your headphones to sound like they ought to. Trying to tune your sound by changing your amp is likely to be a near-fruitless and frustrating journey.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 8
Yet and still that's why the the amp forum exists......for someone to get their preferred amp sound.......neutral, bright, warm lush, analytical......etc...

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 8
With all of those nice headphones in your sig...why not have tubes and ss

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 8
With all of those nice headphones in your sig...why not have tubes and ss
That would be great. Looking into the Glen OTL, but might not be good for the low ohm planars. Plus won't wait months for one. Maybe the GSX mini and a WA22?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back