Solid state or tubes for an HD 600?
Oct 10, 2007 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chrysoberyl

100+ Head-Fier
I value transparency,air between voices and soundstage above everything else.Is there anything for me under 400$?

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 10
mrarroyo,
X-CAN V3 has torn apart my initial opinions in deciding which SS/Valve amp should I get later on. Since X-CAN it self an Hybrid does it carry both strengths and weakness that carried by SS & Tube amp?

Plus does X-CAN work well with low impedance headphone such as D2000?

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 10
I had the Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 in its stock form, way to overlybright for my ears, even when I changed the tubes to the Mullards it was to bright.

I sold the Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 and purchased the Heed Canamp.

So much better in my opinion, lovely highs not shrill in anyway.

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 10
The stock XCAN v3 without the PinkFloyd mods, and without the XPSU v3 and X10 v3 Tube Buffer - does tend to be a bit bright. After its burnt in and with these mods - it becomes a lot warmer and richer, sounding much better with bright phones like Grados, and ATHs (its fine with low impedence phones) - its a great amp with the mods.

Without those mods... it sounds great with dark phones, like Senns... but, can be a bit bright with bright phones.

It also sounds better with a tube DAC / CDP.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 10
And another question yet...how would you connect the amp to an EMU 0404 usb? Do you plug it in the headphones line,or behind?

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 10
I don't know... you'll have to talk to someone else.

The XCAN v3 only has RCA jacks on the back for the input - so I assume you'd have to have some kind of adapter, or board for your PC.

As an aside - you'll be a lot happier with the sound out of a good CDP or DAC.

But... I'd probably get a Meier amp if I had to have a USB connection - the Cantate, or Opera, or even the Arietta.

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 10
I find that the X-Can V3 w/ the PinkFloyd mods, a Little Pinkie, and russian 6H23-EB to be a great amps. I has an increadible wide soundstage, clarity and detail. The bass is there and w/ the mods and Little Pinkie much improved, gut it will not be a basshead amp.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I value transparency,air between voices and soundstage above everything else.Is there anything for me under 400$?

Check huuto.net theres a canamp for sale ~300€ almost new

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And another question yet...how would you connect the amp to an EMU 0404 usb? Do you plug it in the headphones line,or behind?

The 0404 USB has two output RCA jacks which should be used to connect it with the amp's RCA jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back