Solid-state MP3 player recommendations? (Compact flash)
Jan 20, 2002 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gusmahler

New Head-Fier
I was thinking about a solid-state MP3 player to play occassionally. My portable CD/MP3 player would still be my main player.) Since my digital camera takes compact flash, it would be preferable if the player takes the same kind of memory. (E.g., the Rio line seems to use a different type of memory.)

Any recommendations out there?

Jan 21, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 3
I would not really recommend changing a compact flash card from one unit type to another. Might have problems.

I would just expand your MP3 player search to any brand, any card type.

Creative Lab's Nomad II is going cheaply. There are many out there.

Then there is the Rio, which uses their special memory cards, the turds. But that is what I have, Rio's.

As usually, I went crazy with MP3 units. I started with a RIO PMP300, which I still have. Then, for audio books, three RIO 500's. And, a RIO 800 with 128mb of memory for exercise.
I find the RIO 800 has great sound, but the battery recharging is a major pain. After a charge, sometimes you really have to fiddle with the 800 to get it going again.

You might also consider minidisc.

Jan 21, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 3
Whatever you buy, don't get a Rio 800. It may be cool looking, have a great user interface, and a good price. But it's just poor quality. Read here:

http://shopper.cnet.com/electronics/...ir.productinfo

59% of owners give it a thumbs down, mostly for reliability/quality issues. If you want to feel sick and sorry for people, just read some of those stories there.

I lot of people seem to think quite highly of the Intel Pocket Concert Player. I don't believe it has any expansion capabilities, but it does come with a generious 128MB.

Also, have you looked at the Frontier Labs NEX II player? I don't know much about it, but it looks like a really good deal. For around $100 you can get a bare unit with no memory and use your own memory cards. See here...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/frontierstore/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back