Solid state headphone amp with very solid bass?
Oct 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I would like it if you suggested;

1). Models which are currently in production.

2). Models which do not need to use a 'bass boost' feature in order to reproduce their 'solid bass'

3). Please do not suggest EQ'ing the bass more

Budget is not a concern (well it is, I just want to hear of options at all budget levels).

I like an overall dark sound signature, but very solid, and extended bass is the priority.

Thanks in advance!!

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
I am quite entranced by the speed and depth of bass in the Cavalli Liquid Fire.

The topic of this thread:

Solid state headphone amp with very solid bass?

rules out the tube hybrid amps, including the amazing LF.

For a quick recommendation, I'd say any variation of the Burson HA-160 would be worth considering.  If you have the scratch, the RSA Dark Star supposedly does an amazing quality powerful dark sound.

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 15
Will a Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear give impactful bass? If not, what does bass better?

What about the Ray Samuaels RSA SR71A - it is a portable model, but how does it compare to desktop models?

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 15
I think you would want to avoid any battery portable amps.

I thought a good amp was about amping the signal, bass mid & treble should all remain equal, if one amp gives more bass than another then it could be either that the weaker bass amp is just a poor amp, or that the one giving more bass has been designed that way, perhaps when people compare them at in store demos it would have the advantage as sounding more punchy? but get it home & that would soon wear off, especially if you are using headphones that already are bassy.

Why not just get a pair of headphones that give you the bass you need? its a lot easier than trying to find an amp that will do it, if you do find one then I wouldnt like to say how it would sound on say the Denon headphones, it would probably be a mess of bass.

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 15
If you want solid bass, just make sure the amp you're getting has a nice low output impedance and doesn't roll off the lower frequencies.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 15
In my experience with various headphones with extended bass like the HD800 and LCD-2s, the ss amps with great bass are the Burson 160 and the Darkstar. For less money, the Asgard is decent too.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Burson HA-160 is often praised for its bass, it even managed to squeeze some bass out of  k702s, lol.

I had the chance to try it for a couple of weeks, my 840's and pro900 bass was improved in every way. I also have heard good things when using it with Akg line hp's like Dreaming of a better said ^

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Will a Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear give impactful bass? If not, what does bass better?

What about the Ray Samuaels RSA SR71A - it is a portable model, but how does it compare to desktop models?

I ever tried Solo SRGII for couple times and compare it to my Burson, I and my friends has the same opinion, Burson still has bigger impact and slam in bass area

never try UL though.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #15 of 15
I figured I'd ask here since this thread is already on the topic of what I want to find out as well, except I'm looking for something a little less expensive, more around the $200-300 range. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back