Solid State Headphone Amp Recommendation
Feb 2, 2019 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sammo65

New Head-Fier
I’m looking for recommendations for a end game solid state headamp that will drive most if not all headphones. I’m currently using a Sennheiser HDV 820 fed by a MSB reference dac and CD player with a Antipodes EX/CX as source which sounds great to me but I’m sure there must be amps that offer a significant upgrade. I’m sorted on the tube front already so ss recommendations only please. Being in NZ there are limited opportunities to listen before I buy so I have to rely on forums and reviews. Amps I have considered are the Wells headtrip and the reference but would like to know if the reference is worth the extra financial commitment. Any others?

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Feb 4, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 8
I absolutely agree. V281 always had qualities that other amps didnt had like bass extension, bass realism and dynamics. Add more dynamics, resolution, air, highs and speed and you get absolute top tier performance.
From my long observation Niimbus and Pass Labs Hpa-1 is the only amps i didnt heard negative opinions besides price lol.
Same tier amp should be HeadAmp Gsx MK2, but there is love and hate for this amp.
Niimbus though should be safest route not only because of sound from what i heard, but also highest power, very flexible gain settings, 5 year warranty...

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 8
I absolutely agree. V281 always had qualities that other amps didnt had like bass extension, bass realism and dynamics. Add more dynamics, resolution, air, highs and speed and you get absolute top tier performance.
From my long observation Niimbus and Pass Labs Hpa-1 is the only amps i didnt heard negative opinions besides price lol.
Same tier amp should be HeadAmp Gsx MK2, but there is love and hate for this amp.
Niimbus though should be safest route not only because of sound from what i heard, but also highest power, very flexible gain settings, 5 year warranty...
You make some good points - Im looking for a amp that can drive anything I throw at it including Abyss.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 8
If you want a strong contrast to your tubes (ie completely neutral FR and higher dynamic punch) I'd recommend the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2. I use it with the Abyss 1266 and love it. For something warmer, I've heard great things about the Wells Audio Headtrip.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 8
If you want a strong contrast to your tubes (ie completely neutral FR and higher dynamic punch) I'd recommend the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2. I use it with the Abyss 1266 and love it. For something warmer, I've heard great things about the Wells Audio Headtrip.
Thanks for the response a yes the headtrip was my first thought on reading through the forum. I haven't yet found or read anything that compares the $15K reference to the $7K base model. As no chance of hearing or even seeing it Id like to see users views on whether the reference is worth the additional investment.

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 8
I am very interested in adding a SS to Ku setup. What did you end up getting? I’m currently running Auralic Aries G2.1 -> MScaler -> Dave -> Riviera AFC-10 -> 1266 TC (Zmf Verite Closed coming soon). I love my riviera but am interested in a pure SS to play with as well. Is Niimbus the best option? Headtrip II?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back