Solid State Balanced Amp for LCD-2?
Oct 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

IzzyAxel

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a solid state amp with balanced input and output, that has great synergy with the LCD-2, can anyone give me recommendations?  My price cap is $2000, and it'll probably be paired with a Benchmark DAC1.  However McGurkian it'll be, I'll be recabling them with an ALO Audio universal cable, with a true balanced (SR71b) termination, so please, amps that can make use of that plug! (Or the 3/4 pin "balanced" plugs, if these don't compromise the benefits of the fully balanced termination)

So far, I've looked at the Little Dot MK VII+, is this a good consideration, or are there better things higher up the price scale?

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 32
Ooh, anyone got opinions on the Rudistor RP-030?  I could put off purchase of some other non-essential stuff, if this thing will do what I want. (I wanted to try for a portable rig alongside the desktop rig, but the desktop has priority)

Oh, and I forgot to say, I'd prefer to keep the neutral/naturalistic sound of the LCD-2s as neutral/natural as possible through the chain.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 32

Quote:
Here is this thread; http://www.head-fi.org/t/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2

Yeah, I read through most of that, and I wouldn't be asking if I could even find the Concerto on Meier Audio's website...or for sale at all.  And from what I can tell from the reviews, it doesn't have balanced in/out anyway.  This is why I'm asking about something very specific here.  Or were you suggesting I post there instead?

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 32
Try and find a balanced Beta22 for sale, or someone to build you one. My LCD-2's sound absolutely amazing with mine. I think they are a perfect match. The b22 is a very balanced sounding, very revealing amplifier.....and the Audez'e is lush, organic and full of body. Made for each other.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 32
I concur with cAsE sEnSiTiVe the Beta22 is indeed a good match for the LCD-2’s.

Oh here’s an interesting read about that rudi amp;
http://www.head-fi.org/t/546387/rudistor-realeased-a-new-flagship-amp

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 32
Alright, found my B22 builder, now, what about the DAC, is the DAC1 a good enough choice that it gets out of the way of the source?  And, any opinions on cabling?  Ive only looked at ALO fare so far, but those are ridicolously expensive.  Any suggestions for cheaper brands that offer balanced for LCD but wont compromise the sound quality over the stock?

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 32
For the processor I'd try and go with a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 if you can swing it. I think it's the best of the reasonably priced converters, and quite a bit better sounding than the Benchmark.

For cabling, Steve @ Q-Audio makes a great cable for the Audez'e at a fair price. It is light years better than the stock cable, and far easier to deal with due to being very light and flexible.

Make sure you decide ahead of time how you'll terminate your cans so your amp builder can have you covered. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 32
Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou...etc :p  I was REALLY dreading paying 650+ for, quite frankly, cheapo looking cables I knew wouldn't affect the sound, and would only be there to give me balanced operation.   ~$230 for beautiful brown cables to match the wood is far easier to swallow, and actually has me more excited about them than I probably should be.  What can I say, from the picture they look elegant.  It's always nice to find a good product that has a nice aesthetic.

Oh, and I already did tell him I wanted fully balanced, I want balanced for home use, and with the cable, I'll get a 1/4" and 1/8" adapter for portable/other use when I get that rig together :)  Hey I might even start experimenting with amps later on down the road, and see if I can find others with a different sound signature I like for unbalanced use.  I just want one rock solid rig for everyday use.  If you knew me, you'd know, I listen to music every waking hour.

EDIT: Ok they're available through Wyred 4 Sounds' site, but which do I want, 120v or 220-230v?  I *think* that has something to do with US/UK use?  I really don't know...

EDIT2: On second look, can USB or TOSLINK provide balanced input to the DAC?

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 32
If you're here in the US, you'll want 120v.

Regarding the termination I was referring to, if Steve builds you a single 4pin balanced cable (his preference), then make sure your amp builder knows to have that type xlr connector on your amps face plate. There are different ways of course to do it....mine are dual 3pin xlr's. Depends on what YOU prefer. I would also suggest to have Steve build you an XLR to 1/4" extension at time of order, for down the road if you try single-ended. 

As for the digital cable providing balanced, use what you care to. Me personally, if you're not running a computer-sourced system, thereby using a usb cable, I would either run a aes/ebu or coax s/pdif cable. Not a fan of toslink. Regardless, as long as you run a pair of XLR interconnects from your DAC's analog outputs into the B22's inputs.....you're balanced.

One more thing.....you do know your builder can build you a b22 with both balanced and non-balanced operation...right?

What are you planning on feeding the Dac with?

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 32
Well, I thought dual 3 pins were fully balanced while single 4 pin wasn't?  But are you saying, the 4 pin XLR will work just as well as, or even better than the dual 3 pin?  And, if I do TOSLINK, it'd be from my HT Omega Halo Claro internal sound card out to the DAC, USB, just USB from motherboard to DAC.

And have to ask, should I get a 3.5mm or 1/4" adapter?  I'd probably be using 3.5mm more than 1/4", if I had to use either, so do 1/4" adapters for 3.5mm degrade the sound too much?  If they do, I'd probably go for both adapters.  (I'm thinking about portable use, 1/4 to 3.5 adapters are too bulky for my tastes)

As for the b22 doing both...will that cost more, or is it integrated into the balanced version?  I'm already right at the edge of my budget for the whole rig, I only have about $200 left in it, if that would require a total of 6 b22 boards, well...that'd cost far too much for me to afford right now.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 32
It appears you may have already settled on your b22 build, but if not, do consider the V181 and V200 from Violectric.

http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/products/hpav181.php

I have the V200, and it's spectacular with my LCD-2.2s.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 32
To clarify, fully balanced headphones use 4 wires.
The silly part about using two 3 pin XLR's is that 1 of the pins is left unused on each connector, also having two plugs adds expense and takes up valuable space of the front panel.
4 pin XLRs are now becoming more popular for balanced termination, they simply make more sense.
To state the obvious there is no difference in sound quality between two 3 pin vs 4 pin XLRs.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 32
A 4 channel B22 can do both balanced and single ended output. One four pin xlr is the same as two 3 pin xlrs, just a different connector. The two 3 pin connectors seem to be more popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back