Solid state amps for 600ohm phones
Feb 19, 2010 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Neil27

100+ Head-Fier
I've searched around the forums for a while but cannot find much in terms of recomendations on solid state amps for high impedance phones, as many recomend tube amps. I am looking for a an amp that is very neutral and detailed (plus not massively expensive) so i thought SS makes more sense, from what i have read.

I currently own a pair of HD650's which i really like, driven by the amp on a emu 0404usb, however i plan to purchase a DT880 600ohm in the near future, along with a dedicated amp. I would appreciate any recommendations on solid state amps that don't break the bank but could go well with those 'phones.

oh and btw..Would the Little Dot MKV have enough drive for 600ohms? because it's one that caught my attention.

Thanks for any input!

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 23
Phoenix will no doubt be my best performance/cost ratio choice, especially going balanced. If that is outside budget, I found Stello HP100 is also pretty good with DT880/600. It has enough gain and seems to power my Beyer pretty well. The soundstage is good, dynamic and impact are also great, and it never sounds harsh or bright to me. It also have a filter setting to fine tune its sound. Used one will be great deal.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 23
It may be pricier than you'd like, but I don't think you could do much better than the HeadAmp GS-1. Be advised though, expect a long wait if you order one.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 23
I was in the same boat looking for a SS amp to power higher impedance cans and decided to order the Augio GD ROC. I was a little more money but decided to make one purchase instead of a bunch of little one's and then having to buy a bigger amp anyway. This way I can have balanced or unbalanced. I figured one purchase and then enjoy the music. Of course this is just my opinion.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 23
Thanks for the suggestions, some of them are a bit expensive for me atm, however the Stello HP100 looks very nice, may look out for a used one as is still quite expensive.. The 2 inputs are a huge plus for me!

I wonder how the Stello HP100 compares with something a bit cheaper like the little dot mkv i mentioned earlier...

Could anyone here confirm how well the MKV works with v.high ohm drivers like in the dt880/600, would really be appreciated.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh and btw..Would the Little Dot MKV have enough drive for 600ohms? because it's one that caught my attention.

Thanks for any input!

Absolutely. Don't let the 600ohms scare you. beyerdynamic's drivers are very efficient and the volume setting on my tube amp is set to the same position as with my 300 ohm Sennheisers!

By the way, for 600 ohm cans, tubes are ideal because the can better supply the voltage swings that high impedance cans need to properly drive them. I would look at the Little Dot tube amp!

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 23
My Audio-GD Roc does a great job with my 600Ohm DT880's, meaning it fully powers them.

Plus it's balanced which adds new life to the dynamics and the bass becomes very quick.

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 23
The Audio-GD Phoenix does indeed do a good job with the 600 ohm Beyers. As such, I'm sure the ROC would too. I also like the Meier Audio Concerto with my 600 ohm Beyers. And further, the Blue Circle Audio SBH was great with them as well.

I know those are all in the $800-1200 range. I have not heard a SS amp below that price I thought did great with 600 ohm cans. Whereas there are $400 OTL tube amps that truly make the 600 ohm Beyers sing.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Audio-GD Roc does a great job with my 600Ohm DT880's, meaning it fully powers them.

Plus it's balanced which adds new life to the dynamics and the bass becomes very quick.

A lot of love for the Audio-GD Roc. Although i dont plan on getting balanced headphones any time soon, plus i think its quite pricey for me atm. So i dont think that ones for me.

I got to say i am most interested in looking for a used Stello HP-100, but i cant find much info on how it handles high ohm phones. I want to make sure that the amp i get will have the drive to keep the realism, detail and soundstage at 600ohms

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero
Absolutely. Don't let the 600ohms scare you. beyerdynamic's drivers are very efficient and the volume setting on my tube amp is set to the same position as with my 300 ohm Sennheisers!

By the way, for 600 ohm cans, tubes are ideal because the can better supply the voltage swings that high impedance cans need to properly drive them. I would look at the Little Dot tube amp!

I asked the same question over at a MKV thread and got a reply saying it would not provide the volume for 600ohm phones and i would need to turn it up to the max. !?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...5/index46.html

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know those are all in the $800-1200 range. I have not heard a SS amp below that price I thought did great with 600 ohm cans. Whereas there are $400 OTL tube amps that truly make the 600 ohm Beyers sing.

hmm.. i really dont have the funds for those amps. From what i have heard solid state is the overall sound i am looking for (a very detailed a real one).

However I have never heard a headphone amplified by a tube amp, i guess i need to listen for myself before dismising them.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

I asked the same question over at a MKV thread and got a reply saying it would not provide the volume for 600ohm phones and i would need to turn it up to the max. !?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...5/index46.html

How loud do you need to turn it to? I would recommend (as noted previously) a LD tube amp...MKIII or MKIV. Perfect for high impedance cans (tube amps that is).

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How loud do you need to turn it to? I would recommend (as noted previously) a LD tube amp...MKIII or MKIV. Perfect for high impedance cans (tube amps that is).

Ok, thanks for your suggestion, This thread has made me realise that i may want to get a tube amp, or spend alot more. I am just afraid that i might loose some of the detail and neutrality i may get from buying a SS.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Ok, thanks for your suggestion, This thread has made me realise that i may want to get a tube amp, or spend alot more. I am just afraid that i might loose some of the detail and neutrality i may get from buying a SS.

You can tube roll to find the sound that you like. I like the warm side of neutral and there are tubes that can do that, or go the other way.

From my experience, with a good tube amp and tubes you will not lose detail.

Once you go tubes, you don't go back...

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 23
I was just reading about the Headamp GS-1, looks to be awesome, i assume it would be able to power 600ohm phones to full potential? I may need to look into one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back