Solid State Amp for Grado 325is
May 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend some desk amps to me for my Grado 325is. My budget is about $250 give or take. I currently have a portable C&C XO headphone amp; so it has to sound better than that.

I love the clarity, and the brightness of these phones. It would be nice to have an amp that could possibly improve the sound stage, if that's possible, without compromising the bass or the tonal beauty.

Can anyone also please comment on the RA-1. I know it's currently out of my price range, but I'm curious to know how well it sounds.

My sources would be my iPhone 3G, and my Mac Pro tower.

May 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudhra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as of now have you made any choice or come to a starting point.
signature_deepthakur.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by starting point? You mean money wise?

May 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 12
bit "out of touch" with prices but does the little dot mkv come into your budget?

May 16, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend some desk amps to me for my Grado 325is. My budget is about $200 give or take. I currently have a portable C&C XO headphone amp; so it has to sound better than that.

I love the clarity, and the brightness of these phones. It would be nice to have an amp that could possibly improve the sound stage, if that's possible, without compromising the bass or the tonal beauty.

Can anyone also please comment on the RA-1. I know it's currently out of my price range, but I'm curious to know how well it sounds.

My sources would be my iPhone 3G, and my Mac Pro tower.

My Grado RA1 amp sounds just phenomenal with my Grado SR325is headphones.

May 16, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 12
A good amp for Grado's would be the "Cute BEYOND" headphone amplifier. I believe it provides ample current for them and drives them very nicely for the money ($187). You should really look into it. Oh and their site is http://www.audiophileproducts.com/firestone.

Another decent one I have heard is actually a portable amp named the "Little-Dot MK1+". It seems to balance out the sound and add a touch more of warmth to the Grado sound signature.

May 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 12
do any of the amps you guys mentioned, improve the sound stage at all?

May 16, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 12
The cute BEYOND has a narrow/forward soundstage. The Little-Dot's soundstage is a little bigger, but not by much.

May 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Look for a used Headamp Gilmore Lite. I just sold mine but I had a chance to listen to it with my 325is and it was a wonderful combo! It let all of the clarity and punch of the 325is' shine without being overly bright or sibilant. It's also well built, compact, and has a loop out which increases its flexibility.

May 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 12
I've used several amps with my Grados (I have the GS-1000, the RS-1, the SR-325i, the SR-80, the SR-60 and the iGrados). Because the Grados have such low impedence, I first ran them straight off my iPod. My first dip in the pool, as far as headphone amps is concerned, were with slightly upgraded Cmoys. I found a fair amount of difference in sound, depending on which opamp was used. This got me into opamp rolling, which turned out to be a lot of fun. Brown Burr has some very mellow opamps but I'm partial Analog Devices, whose opamps seem to err on the side of detail. Audiosnobs poop all over Cmoys but there's at least one article out there showing that - for $20 to $50 - you can get as good (or better) sound out of a Cmoy as out of Grado's own RA-1 headphone amp (sans the block of mahogany and the cheap, cheap, cheap opamp). To my ears, which are closer to champagne than Budweiser, the Cmoys do surprisingly well for the money. You don't get earthshattering bass (or world-class soundstage) but they do sound better than plugging directly into your portable device.

My next amps were Pimetas, which had more soundstage than the Cmoys, and a little better bass, though nothing overwhelming. The nice thing about pimetas is that they handle opamp rolling really well. One of my pimetas was standard and portable; the other was a pimeta "maxed" that was more of a desktop item.

My next amp was an M^3. This amp, which only cost me $300, had a separate control for bass boost which allowed me to adjust the warmth. Turned halfway up, the bass was about as hard hitting as anybody should ever want. Turned up all the way, it was like living next to Godzilla. It was with this amp that an old truth came home: There are tradeoffs. It's possible to have too much bass. At some point, added bass affects the mix, making the sound too warm, enough to make me feel claustrophobic. The nice thing about having a separate control for bass is the ability to adjust for different recordings. Some sound anemic without a little adjustment; others are fine the way they are, and turning down the bass helps maximize clarity.

The M^3 really brought out the best in my Grados, including my GS-1000s. There's an issue, partly based on preference and perception, that the GS-1000 is a tad sibilant. With the other amps, that issue remained in play, but with the M^3, my GS-1000s had unprecedented balance. For the first time, I was able to enjoy those cans for what they are. Like the pimeta, the M^3 can be tweaked through opamp rolling, something I've considered doing but have yet to feel motivated enough to try.

Right now, in the "for sale" section, there's a M^3 that has something mine doesn't: a finely regulated power supply. My M^3 has a basic elpac wallwart. The M^3 listed has a sigma 11. I've not heard the difference but from all I've read, it's a substantial improvement in sound.

My next amp will be a three-board B22.

May 17, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 12
The M3 was the first amp I had that actually drove my Grados low enough to produce that "presence of God" rumble that separates the men from the boys. I highly recommend a hearing. You can go more refined but at $300 (for a unit running off an Elpac), you get tremendous bang for the buck.

And as timing is everything, it just so happens that there are two or three M3s for sale right now. That's got to be a bonanza for somebody. When I decided on an M3, I had to wait about six weeks for one to come available. Somebody's gonna have better luck than I did.

May 18, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 12
Tube amp can be a good choice. DV336i can run 325is very well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back