Solid single piece amp/player interconnect?
Mar 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ari33

100+ Head-Fier
Was thinking about making my own interconnect the other day using solid silver or silver coated OFC copper wire + audio grade 5% silver solder and it got me wondering about using two Neutrick or Oyaide L shaped 3.5mm jacks and sourcing a suitable knurled shiny SS or alloy tube, cut it to the desired length and thread it to screw on to both jacks to form a single piece interconnect.  

Pros

Repeated strain/stress wear from movement would be removed from the wires increasing wire/interconnect life massively.
It would look very attractive/aesthetically pleasing... well to me at least.

Cons

You would have to align both amp and player perfectly with carefully applied 3m dual lock to avoid strain on the threaded union and jack sockets, In which case you would also have to remove both jacks from the units simultaneously which may be difficult or awkward to do if the player & amp had very stiff jack sockets. I'm probably over thinking this as usual and it's not a big issue but I can imagine it requiring both hands to be used pulling on each jack of the interconnect while clamping both amp and player unit with the knees. 

+ other unknowns

The cons may outweigh the pros... but worth exploring?

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 3
You've missed one important thing in this idea - the tube will need to cover both plugs, how do you solder the second one? 

I suppose you could make the cable too long and twist it the opposite way to the way the tube attaches, but depending on the length of the thread you might still detach/snap one or all of the wires and you'd be compressing them while screwing it together.  Once it had survived that you wouldn't be straining the joints but it's a hard start to it's life.

The other way that would work would be using a tube that comes in two halves which you can put on over the perfect length completed cable.  This wouldn't be as tough though, and wouldn't look as perfect...

On a more positive note removing it shouldn't be much harder than a standard cable assuming both sockets are parallel, just put one finger near each end and your thumb in the middle and pull
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 3

I suppose you could make the cable too long and twist it the opposite way to the way the tube attaches, but depending on the length of the thread you might still detach/snap one or all of the wires and you'd be compressing them while screwing it together.  Once it had survived that you wouldn't be straining the joints but it's a hard start to it's life.

The other way that would work would be using a tube that comes in two halves which you can put on over the perfect length completed cable.  This wouldn't be as tough though, and wouldn't look as perfect...

On a more positive note removing it shouldn't be much harder than a standard cable assuming both sockets are parallel, just put one finger near each end and your thumb in the middle and pull
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, a reverse thread on the second jack would eliminate that issue completely but that obviously isn't an option.
Plenty of length and counter twisted in a loose spiral before screwing in the 2nd jack is actually exactly how I'd envisaged doing it. If I used a flexible grommet in the jacks cable securing clamps stranded wire should handle that no problem, well certainly better than with solid wire. 

I think you could be right, depending on the tubes length, wall thickness, material and thread fit tolerances with the jack I suppose it could be made to be pretty solid. 

Thanks for your input. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back