Solid silver interconnects?
Mar 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #16 of 45
1. How was it tuned to the "minutest details"?

2. Neither silver nor copper present an image, they just transfer an analogue audio signal from one place to another.

3. Again, how was it "referenced tuned" and what was the reference?
3a. I've worked in some of the most "reference tuned" listening environments on the planet, silver never pushes "it over the edge". In fact, as there is no difference anywhere near audibility between silver and copper cables, the most "reference tuned" listening environments don't use silver cables.

G
Buy everything blindly and dont make research. Cable with same design, same size wires and silver will sound better.
Its better wire! its a fact proven by being more conductive.
Why does Wireworld or Audioquest top cables are silvers if it is a worse than copper?

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #17 of 45
Buy everything blindly and dont make research. Cable with same design, same size wires and silver will sound better.
Its better wire! its a fact proven by being more conductive.
Why does Wireworld or Audioquest top cables are silvers if it is a worse than copper?

Why do “audiophile“ companies make expensive cables? Because they have decades of sales history demonstrating that despite the lack actual evidence of audible improvement, people will still buy expensive cables that have enormous profit margins.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #18 of 45
I remember years ago I had my Woo 5LE tube amplifier on it’s way and wanted to first hear it with nice interconnects. I had actually never even tried expensive interconnects. A friend said, try these solid silver wire interconnects. So I took them home and on lunch-time the next day my new amplifier arrived.

Upon the demo the solid silver wires made the music almost unrecognizable. Imaging was different and everything was way too bright. I switched back to my Best Buy $15 Monster Interconnects and everything was back in place.

Of course this was a new amplifier I had never heard before. Still that was the first and last time I tried solid silver cables. Later that year I was able to get some solid copper core interconnects and made improvements over the Monster Cables.

I’m pretty sure there is a place for silver and maybe copper or gold mixed IEM cables. Maybe that would be a better place for the introduction of silver. I’m pretty sure most China silver/copper cables are actually tin/copper cables. But there is definitely a place in the hobby for the effects of the material. The silver just has to be blended and maybe combined so that the brightness is better controlled.

Even the guy who lent me the cable said it was never used as a regular interconnect is his system but some style of cable going to a sub-woofer in his home theater?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #19 of 45
[1] Buy everything blindly and dont make research.
[2] Cable with same design, same size wires and silver will sound better. Its better wire! its a fact proven by being more conductive.
[3] Why does Wireworld or Audioquest top cables are silvers if it is a worse than copper?

1. So, not referenced to anything and not "reference tuned" then.

2. Silver wire is indeed more conductive. Roughly, a 6 foot copper cable will have the same conductivity as a 6 foot 1 inch silver cable. The difference is so tiny, your headphones/speakers can't even reproduce it. Hence why it cannot sound better, unless you're hearing something your headphones/speakers are not reproducing in the first place!

3. Silver doesn't perform worse than copper, it effectively performs the same as copper but obviously costs more, which why the top studios use copper cables and spend their money where it does make a difference.

G

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 45
1. How was it tuned to the "minutest details"?

2. Neither silver nor copper present an image, they just transfer an analogue audio signal from one place to another.

3. Again, how was it "referenced tuned" and what was the reference?
3a. I've worked in some of the most "reference tuned" listening environments on the planet, silver never pushes "it over the edge". In fact, as there is no difference anywhere near audibility between silver and copper cables, the most "reference tuned" listening environments don't use silver cables.

G
I am a musician, and tune systems by ear. Emphasis being on instrument timbre/sound.
Everything is done DIY, after experimenting with almost every cable imaginable, every metal and gauge you can think of. Capacitors, to housing, to room acoustics.
Took me almost a year to experiment with every combination I could think of. COPPER and SILVER sound nothing alike....From USB Cables to Interconnects, to Speaker cables, to Capacitors, to power cables, Silver loses the contrast and warmth of acoustic instruments. (Amongst other problems)
If you can't hear the differences in tone, I don't know what to tell you.
I am speaking from extensive experience, and would rather not turn this into a long drawn out argument.
Do what makes you happy.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #21 of 45
1. So, not referenced to anything and not "reference tuned" then.

2. Silver wire is indeed more conductive. Roughly, a 6 foot copper cable will have the same conductivity as a 6 foot 1 inch silver cable. The difference is so tiny, your headphones/speakers can't even reproduce it. Hence why it cannot sound better, unless you're hearing something your headphones/speakers are not reproducing in the first place!

3. Silver doesn't perform worse than copper, it effectively performs the same as copper but obviously costs more, which why the top studios use copper cables and spend their money where it does make a difference.

G
Completely false. Silver surface is much cleaner and therefore it is better. Shorter signal path in equipment or better quality wire like silver or occ copper = much less energy being lost.
I think Wireworld make Cables and listen them vs Just connectors and they say that Silver is closest to just connectors sound.

Mar 15, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #22 of 45
I am a musician, and tune systems by ear. Emphasis being on instrument timbre/sound.
Everything is done DIY, after experimenting with almost every cable imaginable, every metal and gauge you can think of. Capacitors, to housing, to room acoustics.
Took me almost a year to experiment with every combination I could think of. COPPER and SILVER sound nothing alike....From USB Cables to Interconnects, to Speaker cables, to Capacitors, to power cables, Silver loses the contrast and warmth of acoustic instruments. (Amongst other problems)
If you can't hear the differences in tone, I don't know what to tell you.
I am speaking from extensive experience
, and would rather not turn this into a long drawn out argument.
Do what makes you happy.

If you are a musician and have extensive experience, then you must know what even school age music students without extensive experience should know, that music is based on perception, illusion and expectation biases. For example, the note "C4" will be perceived entirely differently within the key of "C major" than it will within the key of "B major", even though it's exactly the same note! And this is just one of countless examples, many of which have been routinely employed for 500 years and some for 700 years! In fact, pretty much the whole history of western music for 700 years or so is based on the perception of dissonance and consonance, and the expectation bias of harmonic/melodic resolution.

Assuming the obvious, that the different cables are appropriate for the task (type, gauge, etc.), if you CAN hear an audible difference in tone, where there provably isn't one, then I DO know what to tell you! It's what I've just told you in the previous paragraph, that you should already know if you're a musician with extensive experience!

[1] Completely false. Silver surface is much cleaner and therefore it is better.
[2] Shorter signal path in equipment or better quality wire like silver or occ copper = much less energy being lost.

1. Huh? How is 99.9% pure silver much cleaner than 99.9 pure copper?

2. Again false. Standard copper cable (ETP, 99.9% pure) = much less energy being lost than "wire like silver or occ copper"! This statement is completely true if, like you, we ignore gauge and use a lower gauge (AWG) standard copper cable than silver. However, assuming the correct gauge standard copper (or silver) wire is being used, there is NOT "much less energy being lost", there is a negligible, INAUDIBLE amount of energy being lost!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post due to a tiny typo? Did you mean to type "Completely false:" instead of "Completely false."?

G

Mar 15, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 45
If you are a musician and have extensive experience, then you must know what even school age music students without extensive experience should know, that music is based on perception, illusion and expectation biases. For example, the note "C4" will be perceived entirely differently within the key of "C major" than it will within the key of "B major", even though it's exactly the same note! And this is just one of countless examples, many of which have been routinely employed for 500 years and some for 700 years! In fact, pretty much the whole history of western music for 700 years or so is based on the perception of dissonance and consonance, and the expectation bias of harmonic/melodic resolution.

Assuming the obvious, that the different cables are appropriate for the task (type, gauge, etc.), if you CAN hear an audible difference in tone, where there provably isn't one, then I DO know what to tell you! It's what I've just told you in the previous paragraph, that you should already know if you're a musician with extensive experience!

1. Huh? How is 99.9% pure silver much cleaner than 99.9 pure copper?

2. Again false. Standard copper cable (ETP, 99.9% pure) = much less energy being lost than "wire like silver or occ copper"! This statement is completely true if, like you, we ignore gauge and use a lower gauge (AWG) standard copper cable than silver. However, assuming the correct gauge standard copper (or silver) wire is being used, there is NOT "much less energy being lost", there is a negligible, INAUDIBLE amount of energy being lost!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post due to a tiny typo? Did you mean to type "Completely false:" instead of "Completely false."?

G
Do whatever makes you happy :) I Am not a scientist or a psychiatrist.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #25 of 45
The affect to audio by cable/IC material is real to my ears.
I change h800s to silver plated. I cut $300 cable from P.W audio after one day (wrong buying. Demoing on Hd800-non S while mine is 800s). Hd800->goes litz copper. Hd800s -> goes litz silver plated.
I cant stand hd800 sound from silver cable.
On Ibasso SR1, a balance - warm tonal, pure silver will do big improvement on sq by extended highs and less thickness of the base. Stock cable has silky smooth sound, so silver cable doesnt make it disappears.
Imagine, headstage changes too on hd800s. Stock cable brings widest stage while silver plated brings "more sphere" stage.
On electrostatics kse1500, pure silver sound difference on litz wire and solid core wire. I like crisp and spark highs of litz silver

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #27 of 45
The affect to audio by cable/IC material is real to my ears.
I change h800s to silver plated. I cut $300 cable from P.W audio after one day (wrong buying. Demoing on Hd800-non S while mine is 800s). Hd800->goes litz copper. Hd800s -> goes litz silver plated.
I cant stand hd800 sound from silver cable.
On Ibasso SR1, a balance - warm tonal, pure silver will do big improvement on sq by extended highs and less thickness of the base. Stock cable has silky smooth sound, so silver cable doesnt make it disappears.
Imagine, headstage changes too on hd800s. Stock cable brings widest stage while silver plated brings "more sphere" stage.
On electrostatics kse1500, pure silver sound difference on litz wire and solid core wire. I like crisp and spark highs of litz silver
Silver bring HD800S real character. Tried all kind of silver cables from usb silver cable to Headphone silver cable and all of them made things worst, but...
When i eq it be more flat and then Silver cables blown Copper out of the water.
My conclusion: HD800S tonal balance is terrible and it need colorations from components to sound good.
Anything accurate with HD800S and it will sound poor.
I realy hope Sennheiser is working on flagship that mere mortals can afford that sounds flat whitout dips and peaks.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #28 of 45
Silver bring HD800S real character. Tried all kind of silver cables from usb silver cable to Headphone silver cable and all of them made things worst, but...
When i eq it be more flat and then Silver cables blown Copper out of the water.
My conclusion: HD800S tonal balance is terrible and it need colorations from components to sound good.
Anything accurate with HD800S and it will sound poor.
I realy hope Sennheiser is working on flagship that mere mortals can afford that sounds flat whitout dips and peaks.

Mine sounds great, no EQ needed. I use a $3 Belkin USB cable and the stock HD800S 1/4" cable. Even with the $3 Belkin cable my ADI-2 DAC FS passes the integrated "bitcheck" where it verifies bit perfect transmission. Also considering how a function generator can be used to pass a signal in the order of GHz through any cable and have it come out with perfect frequency at the other side, any argument about cable "timing" is invalid.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #29 of 45
[1] Silver bring HD800S real character. Tried all kind of silver cables from usb silver cable to Headphone silver cable and all of them made things worst, but...
[2] When i eq it be more flat and [2a] then Silver cables blown Copper out of the water.
[3] My conclusion: HD800S tonal balance is terrible and it need colorations from components to sound good.

1. In the case of USB cables, that's clearly impossible. To change the character/colouration you have to actually change the values of the audio data bits. Around 20% of the bits in a USB signal aren't digital audio data bits, they're data bits used for various purposes, for example: Identification, control and communication between the USB host and receiver devices, error detection, etc. Furthermore, not just change the occasional, random audio data bit but many thousands to hundreds of thousands of very specific audio data bits per second would have to be changed. THEREFORE, to change the character/colouration, you first have identify which bits in the data stream are actually audio data bits and then apply an algorithm to change the many thousands of specific audio data bits (per second). This requires at least two pieces of software/firmware and at least two processor chips. Cables are simple pieces of metal that obviously do not contain either the required software/firmware or the processing chips/units to apply it. So:

2. "When you eq it to be more flat" you are using EQ software to apply an algorithm which changes thousands/hundreds of thousands of AUDIO data bits (already stripped of USB control bits) per second and obviously, a CPU to execute the EQ software.
2a. Even if a USB cable did degrade the signal severely enough to actually change the value of some of the bits, it could only change random bits. IE. Not ONLY the audio data bits and NOT the specific audio data bits but any bits (including the device identification, control, communication and other data bits essential for a USB connection to work in the first place). So, do you think that silver or copper cables contain: The software/firmware to differentiate between audio bits and USB control bits, an EQ algorithm that changes millions of specific audio bits and the hardware processing units to execute this software? If not, then it's impossible for the cable to be changing the EQ ("tonal balance", "colouration") in the first place!

3. Your conclusion may be entirely valid for your perception/preferences, although others may of course have different perceptions/preferences. However, "colourations [EQ] from components" cannot include cables. Because USB cables do not contain the software/hardware processing required to change the EQ (create colourations) and, assuming the appropriate gauge/length/type, an analogue cable can only change the EQ (create colourations) at levels well below audibility.

G

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #30 of 45
1. In the case of USB cables, that's clearly impossible. To change the character/colouration you have to actually change the values of the audio data bits. Around 20% of the bits in a USB signal aren't digital audio data bits, they're data bits used for various purposes, for example: Identification, control and communication between the USB host and receiver devices, error detection, etc. Furthermore, not just change the occasional, random audio data bit but many thousands to hundreds of thousands of very specific audio data bits per second would have to be changed. THEREFORE, to change the character/colouration, you first have identify which bits in the data stream are actually audio data bits and then apply an algorithm to change the many thousands of specific audio data bits (per second). This requires at least two pieces of software/firmware and at least two processor chips. Cables are simple pieces of metal that obviously do not contain either the required software/firmware or the processing chips/units to apply it. So:

2. "When you eq it to be more flat" you are using EQ software to apply an algorithm which changes thousands/hundreds of thousands of AUDIO data bits (already stripped of USB control bits) per second and obviously, a CPU to execute the EQ software.
2a. Even if a USB cable did degrade the signal severely enough to actually change the value of some of the bits, it could only change random bits. IE. Not ONLY the audio data bits and NOT the specific audio data bits but any bits (including the device identification, control, communication and other data bits essential for a USB connection to work in the first place). So, do you think that silver or copper cables contain: The software/firmware to differentiate between audio bits and USB control bits, an EQ algorithm that changes millions of specific audio bits and the hardware processing units to execute this software? If not, then it's impossible for the cable to be changing the EQ ("tonal balance", "colouration") in the first place!

3. Your conclusion may be entirely valid for your perception/preferences, although others may of course have different perceptions/preferences. However, "colourations [EQ] from components" cannot include cables. Because USB cables do not contain the software/hardware processing required to change the EQ (create colourations) and, assuming the appropriate gauge/length/type, an analogue cable can only change the EQ (create colourations) at levels well below audibility.

G
You think you know Everything because you read something on the internet ha ha. Did you even tried any dac, amp, cables or you just report all the myths you heard written by complete noobs.
I used to think like you, but then i tried many stuff myself and saw that i was wrong.
Besides... You dont loss data by cables.
You loss precision.
Think like best dac + best amp and cables
= 8k picture
Bad dac + bad amp and cables = Full hd picture quality.
You didnt loss colors or any information on screen, but you loss precision.
Let me guess, you think that all dacs and amps sound the same too?
Why do you think some dacs sound warmer why do you think people buy tube amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back