Solid core wire for my DT990 (600 Ohm)
May 10, 2006 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Capt. Z

500+ Head-Fier
I still got one of those really old Beyerdynamic DT990 - 600 ohm version. For the longest time these have been my reference phones. I even prefer them to my HD600.

Some time ago, I spoke with KZEE and he recommended recabeling my phones with a solid core wire. After much debating back and forth I went ahead and did make a solid core wire for my DT990.

I gave the cable about one week of burn in time and last night I finally hooked up my "regular" DT990 and my "solid-core" DT990.

These phones have totally been transformed.

My first impression:

The "regular" DT990 sound very analytical, spacious, lots of detail, but lean in the mids and bass, top always a little hot.

The "solid core" DT990 sound MUCH MUCH fuller and warmer, better bass and much no more hot treble.

After listening to the "solid core" version, I've put my "regular" one in the drawer for "parts", if I ever need to replace someting on these old phones.

One negative thing: The stiff solid core cable can be a pain to handle.

I would assume, that some people, who like the DT880 but hate the "bright" high on the DT880, could benefit from this cable mod a lot.

May 10, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z
I still got one of those really old Beyerdynamic DT990 - 600 ohm version.

The "regular" DT990 sound very analytical, spacious, lots of detail, but lean in the mids and bass, top always a little hot.

the 600 ohm must probably be a very different beast ..
dt990 never sounded analytical , lot of detail , lean on bass to me ..

I'll try to find one 600ohm on ebay

May 10, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
Oh, and there's a cable forum.

Bite your tongue. It's like kicking a puppy to send someone to the cable forum.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

May 10, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 5
I was debating with myself to post this here or in the cable forum, but decided to post it on the headphone forum for different reasons.

The gauge of original cable is a very fine Litz wire that "loves" to tear/break if you're not careful soldering it.

The solid core is a 20ga. copper wire.

I never heared the other DT990s, so I can't compare them.

You find one of these 600 ohmers usually on the german ebay.
Also, you need to buy new velour ear pads for those old 600 ohmers, otherwise your sound balance is way of with the old, black and by now ver flat eaer pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back