Soldering ZMF wire
Aug 23, 2023 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HirkEukvic

100+ Head-Fier
I can't find an existing answer to this question, but I'm having a bear of a time getting my solder to bond with ZMF wire. It's sticking fine to the jacks and I haven't had the same issue with Mogami gold cable (which isn't as good of quality to my ear). I've had the same issue with both the Atmos C and S wire, so I'm kind of wondering if I'm doing something wrong with ZMF'S specific formulation.

My solder is MG chemical 63/37 leaded and fluxed, and my station is set to 700F. Does anyone who's worked with ZMF cables have some tips?

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 3
I can't find an existing answer to this question, but I'm having a bear of a time getting my solder to bond with ZMF wire. It's sticking fine to the jacks and I haven't had the same issue with Mogami gold cable (which isn't as good of quality to my ear). I've had the same issue with both the Atmos C and S wire, so I'm kind of wondering if I'm doing something wrong with ZMF'S specific formulation.

My solder is MG chemical 63/37 leaded and fluxed, and my station is set to 700F. Does anyone who's worked with ZMF cables have some tips?
It looks like most of the ZMF cable (you didn't specify which) have coatings on the conductor. One copper type actually uses enamel, for instance - like magnet wire. :wink: Regardless, I doubt your solder will stick unless you remove the conductor coating at the point of solder junction.

Probably a little sanding will take care of your troubles. Sometimes enamel on magnet wire can be melted off by the soldering iron, but it's best to gently sand the coating off. Since ZMF uses some exotic coatings on their other types of cable (the enamel is used on the 2KCopper), you'll have to tell us how well the sanding works.

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 3
It looks like most of the ZMF cable (you didn't specify which) have coatings on the conductor. One copper type actually uses enamel, for instance - like magnet wire. :wink: Regardless, I doubt your solder will stick unless you remove the conductor coating at the point of solder junction.

Probably a little sanding will take care of your troubles. Sometimes enamel on magnet wire can be melted off by the soldering iron, but it's best to gently sand the coating off. Since ZMF uses some exotic coatings on their other types of cable (the enamel is used on the 2KCopper), you'll have to tell us how well the sanding works.
I'm using the ZMF wire they sell for DIY use - Atmos copper, silver, and Michanikos. I wouldn't be surprised if the cores within the external insulation are also coated, so using ultra fine sandpaper isn't a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back