Soldering Tips
Sep 16, 2010 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

VulgarDisplay

500+ Head-Fier
I finally got everything I needed to start building my first Cmoy.  My issue is that the tip that came with my weller 25watt iron seems to me like it's too big and I can't heat just one part at a time.  

It's the ST3 screwdriver tip.  Could any of you more experienced at soldering recomment a good tip size for stuffing a PCB.  

As I was going I got a little better at not making solder bridges, but I still think a smaller tip would be better.  Any recommendations?  

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 6
I use ST7.  I believe there are 3 really small tips in the ST series and honestly when the point is that fine it won't even matter because the solder blob will look exactly the same on each

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the recommendation I picked up a st6 and an st7.  I'm guessing the st3 is better for soldering cables.  1/8" wide isn't really working out the best for me working on a circuit board.  

With how ugly my current cmoy looks using the st3 I'm pretty sure it won't work, but I was smart enough to order a lot of extra stuff to get some practice.  Then on to a mini3 or a cth.  

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Don't forget screw driver tips are great for through hole soldering. They hold heat better, so you don't have to diddly about heating up parts with your spike tips if your solder doesn't feel cooperative. The ETA tip that comes stock with a WES51 (0.06" screwdriver) is great, although your ST3 is about double that size.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah I picked up a conical and a screwdriver tip that were smaller, what's 8 bucks when I've already started dumping money into this evil new hobby at an alarming rate.  

I may be spending myself into poverty, but I hear sweet sweet music so I don't care.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back