Soldering suggestions?
Apr 8, 2006 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

bladeweaver

New Head-Fier
Hey guys-
My birthday is coming up, and I was thinking of getting myself a new soldering iron. I've been using a 15$ ratshack iron, and it just isnt cutting it anymore, after I used a good one. Can anyone reccomend me a good soldering iron thats in the 60$ range, and is good for building amps and cable upgrades?
I have heard good things about weller, but any brand is fine.
Thanks for your help

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 46
I recently bought a ZD-929C and so far I am very pleased with it, it has temperature control and is generally very nice to work with - but I have only used it for something like 10-15 hours so far...

I found a link on google: http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index...ROD&ProdID=881

personally I bought it in a danish shop at danish prices (more than $60) but it seems it could fit in your price range as long as you don't live in Denmark
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT:
About Weller by the way, I looked at Weller too but a Weller with the same features would have cost me several times as much - I'm sure they are of better quality but unless you plan on soldering for a living...

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 46
For $20 more, you could get a Hakko 936-12

Also, search teh forum for other threads about irons.

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 46
^ Wow that one looks pretty good (ZD-929C)
I have the Weller WLC100 which works very good for me, except the tip that comes with it is large, so you'd have to order separate ones if you're doing SMD work.

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
^ Wow that one looks pretty good (ZD-929C)
I have the Weller WLC100 which works very good for me, except the tip that comes with it is large, so you'd have to order separate ones if you're doing SMD work.

What kind of heater does the ZD have? ceramic or the Nichrome?

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 46
So close in price to the hakko 936. It's only a 20 dollar bill more.
smily_headphones1.gif
You can go check it out at Fry's electronics if you want to see it in person. I think they're a little more expensive there though. It's always nice to see it in person to see if you'd like the grip, cord, etc.

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon
What kind of heater does the ZD have? ceramic or the Nichrome?

The tip is ceramic but the heating element doesn't look it:
iron.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back