Soldering Station - which one?
Feb 26, 2007 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DigiPete

500+ Head-Fier
Looking to buy one of these:

Hakko 936-12 ESD

or

Weller WES51

Any comments on pros/cons for each model?
Has anyone got experience with both?

Thanks
Pete

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 7
I have a Hakko 936-12.. Used a weller once but not sure what model it was. Hakko is nice.

Iron holder is excellent as I mentioned in other threads and would prefer it over the Weller. It is heavy. There is a well for water below the sponge and the center cutout of the main sponge is below it to suck the water from the well to the main. I like the hole in the center of the main as it lets the solder drop into the well and not sit on the sponge. Also, the enclosed area for the iron tip blocks room air so the control doesn't have to work as much when not in use.
Handle does not seem to get hot at all after about ten minutes of use. I am usually working as I go so I turn it off when I am not using it for a while. Heats fast.

I do wish the power switch was on the front instead of the side but I have it plugged into an undermonitor surge strip and use the button from that to turn it on so I can tuck the control unit away.

Both are ESD safe. Both have ceramic heater. Haako keeps the tip to 1°C, Weller to around 6°C (doubt it really matters)

The one thing I like about the Hakko is that you can buy every replacement part for it. http://www.hakkousa.com/2006/detail....ID=1250&Page=6 How about a DIY soldering station kit?
tongue.gif

Best of all? The Hakko is cheaper.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 7
I really like my 936. Haven't tried the weller so can't comment but pretty much everything paragon said applies. I also think the iron is fairly comfy and nice to use but that's just in comparison to a mains iron I used previously.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 7
Of those two, I'd pick the Hakko.

I prefer the Weller WTCPT over the Hakko 936 but don't think it is worth the extra $40 or so.

Pro on Hakko 936. Better new price. Great (well huge) tip selection. Three handle sizes. I use my 936 mostly for extra fine work and SMD.

Cons on the Hakko. It is somewhat fragile. The instructions say not to tap the iron the remove excess solder or subject it to mechanical shocks. Changing tips changes calibration If you switch to a smaller or larger tip, the scale on your 936 could be off by 50F. There is a chart giving a rough guide in the manual. That is good enough for all but the most critical work. Still, you have to remember to do it and find or download the chart.

One of the things I like the most about the WTCPT is that the temperature is set by the tip. If you swap to another tip you don't have to worry about recalibration. The Weller is also very rugged. I've had one of mine for ages. When I need to take a soldering station out in the field it is always the Weller. It was at the Zoo last week. The larger handle isn't as well suited to SMD work though.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 7
i've used both a weller wsd80 and a wes51, of the 2, i'd go with the wsd80 for a better range of tips (the angled small tips are great for smd imo), i've never used a hakko

i will say this though, the weller irons i've used are used constantly, years of use and abuse, and their going strong, and just being able to set a temp and know that its set there is nice as compared to the hakko (why i bought the wsd80 over the hakko)

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the insights.

I'll be ordering the Hakko, found it for $80 on the web.

Cheers,
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back