Soldering Station Time: Hakko or Weller
Sep 17, 2006 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided that I am going to get a soldering station. I intend to be doing a fair bit of DIY work in the upcoming years so I'm upgrading from the cheap Rat Shack iron to something that will last. I have narrowed it down to either the Hakko 936 or the Weller WES51. I can get both for about the same cost, so given the choice, which one would you guys recommend?

Aditya

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 28
Thanks for the recommendation, but can you also please clarify as to why you would recommend one over the other?

Aditya

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 28
We have both WTCPT and WE51 at work. After 6 months I'm still not able to dig the software of WE51 - sometimes tip just goes off-hook (literaly) for no reason, LEDs blinking fast, and you never know what's going to happen if you turn the knob - usually I have to replug the iron to make it work. WTCPT is more predictable, and fights heatsinks better. One needs several tips though.

WE51 is fool-proof, could stay on for days with no damage.

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 28
I just got a Hakko 936 after messing around with cheap irons for a while. All I have to say is that it is amazing
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 28
I haven't tried that particular Weller, but I had a cheaper one at one point in time. While it was good, it didn't compare to the Hakko.

The heat recovery is great on the Hakko. You solder something and it's ready to go very quickly for the next component. Overall I didn't think a soldering iron could make a huge difference, but the Hakko just made soldering a lot easier and cleaner. It's a good iron...IMHO.

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 28
Duratech
wink.gif

I have one of their stations and it works. Basically I like it just as much as a friend's Weller iron. IMHO providing the iron feels good and light in your hand, has sufficient grunt for the work you are doing, and reasonable heat recovery, it all comes down to personal preference in the end.

Sep 19, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 28
To throw another wrench into the mix, does anyone here have experience with the Weller Portasol Pro (the P2C), or for that matter, any butane powered soldering irons? I just happened onto this today and I like what I saw, given the lack of a cord and the fact that the handle is much closer to the tip (something that has always frustrated me with conventional irons, since my hands aren't very steady). The P2C has temperature adjustability and exchangable tips, not to mention the above factors. However, I just haven't seen anyone using these butane powered irons. Is there a reason for this that I am missing out on? If not, then this looks like it may be a decent buy.

Aditya

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 28
I have bought a AOYUE soldering station. They are a chinese amnufacturer which is said to clone soldering stations just like many other manufacturers.

I am very happy with it, the only downside is that each tip costs 18€( because the tip included the ceramic element) It reaches working temperature in 10 seconds and after repetitive soldering it maintains temp very well. The iron has a nice diameter, just like a large pen, and is very lightweight.

For 100€ it is definitely a winner.

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
To throw another wrench into the mix, does anyone here have experience with the Weller Portasol Pro (the P2C), or for that matter, any butane powered soldering irons? I just happened onto this today and I like what I saw, given the lack of a cord and the fact that the handle is much closer to the tip (something that has always frustrated me with conventional irons, since my hands aren't very steady).

First off ... another vote for a Hakko station.

On the subject of butane irons, I've used them as a last resort when I have to work outside and there isn't an AC outlet near by. I think they are a pain in the ass and don't like them. I haven't use the Weller, so take my opinion with that understanding. The butane doesn't last long, they don't work as well, and always thought of them as a tool for quick fixes when an AC outlet wasn't available. (Soldering is an almost daily task with my job.)

Has anyone else used butane and not have the same negative opinion as me?

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 28
Go with Hakko. Reliable, fast recovery, tips last forever.

One time some years ago at work, the power went out momentarily and the tip of my "temperature controlled" Weller could be seen glowing red. Not good for most electronic soldering....Ever since I've been turned off by Weller stations.

For budjet concerns, you might also consider Tenma (MCM part# 21-980) adjustable 16-30 watt on sale for $16.95

It's just a pencil iron, not a station, and power is adjustable though I think it's probably just a "dimmer" type circuit without actual temp monitoring and feedback. Takes a couple minutes to come up to temp once plugged in. I've been using one at home on and off for years, recently doing a lot of SMT work.

Gontran
Scherzo Audio

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim
Has anyone else used butane and not have the same negative opinion as me?

I'd be quite happy to never use a butane iron ever again. What a PITA.
frown.gif

And another vote for the Hakko.

Sep 22, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 28
The Weller WLC100 is very good if you're on a budget.

Done several DIY amps with it, no problems so far.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 28
Any more suggestions anyone? I'm going to buy on Monday, and as it stands, I'm currently leaning towards the Hakko. So any naysayers, speak now or forever hold your peace...

Aditya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back