Soldering newbie
Sep 18, 2009 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

aj-kun

500+ Head-Fier
So I started attempting to learn to solder a couple of nights ago...and I was doing it wrong messed up a few connectors for my phone and few cables(all of them) and 2 3.5mm jacks lol. (alot of cold joints i think its called)
But yeh...my question pretty much is...what tools do you DIYers find essential when making interconnects and reterminating stuff? (include anything you with touch that helps)
At the moment i've got butane soldering iron(read somewhere buy something decent so it lasts longer...so i did), 60/40 rosin core solder, third hand thingy, heatshrink...and thats bout it.
And any tips?

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 3
Your only problem is the solder. Eutectic solder goes from liquid to solid without any other phase changes, and thus greatly reduces cold joints. You have regular solder, which needs to be absolutely still when it <s>dries</s> transitions (wow...as a physicist I am ashamed that I said solder would "dry"), and even then is prone to other thermodynamic annoyances based on the other things that may compromise the joint. Thus, I use Cardas Quad Eutectic.

Note that I, too, am mew to this, and am using the Cardas on recommendations that it flows a lot smoother than other eutectic solders. That is opinion. The Eutectic thing is fact, so regardless of what you get, make sure it is eutectic.

-Nkk

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the info. Good to know as someone who is heading into the DIY department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back