Soldering iron
Jun 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....rapidonline looks like a good site - thanks.

Yes. I get most of my stuff there. Usually much cheaper than Farnell.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #17 of 46
my iron is 20W its hard to damage a pcb with it or overheat components but it takes ages to warm up and it dosen't work with silver solder and is not good for desoldering (I have to do kind of weird things with heated wire loops). Rapid is a great site I get all my stuff there the alternatives in the Uk are pretty dire (Farnell and RS).

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 46
can anyone point me to a good soldering iron
I currently have a cheap 30W iron but find the (non-changeable) nib too big
Are there any cheap irons that will help with small joints and v.small surface mounts?

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #19 of 46
I saw a dual setting black and decker soldering iron station - £16 on rapidonline - might be good. Low setting was about 20 to 30W i think.
High was a bit more - low was basically 230C and high was 400C. You're not going to damage a pcb with short bouts of 230. And anyway, when i last did soldering (yes, I have done - I lied earlier) i don't remember ever really touching the pcb with the iron. Once the solder was gooey i stopped and sucked.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #21 of 46
looks nice - cheapest is $160 in uk
frown.gif

Can't remember if i asked this - for opamp rolling is a 15 to 30W iron enough? or is 30W overkill?

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #22 of 46
The Aoyue 936 I posted earlier is a direct clone of the Hakko 936, possibly made in the same manufacturing plant. Mine was $38 before shipping.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Aoyue 936 I posted earlier is a direct clone of the Hakko 936, possibly made in the same manufacturing plant. Mine was $38 before shipping.

£30 in the UK on the link I posted earlier - but I think he just wants an iron rather than a station.

There's loads of good irons about for ~£15. Just don't be tempted by some of the garbage sold
by places like Maplin ......... Stick to Antex, Weller, Xytronic, etc ....

The little iron I posted a link to at Rapid is good for £15, but temp control would be nicer .....
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: A station is at least 10x better than an iron .......
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #25 of 46
I'm looking for a decent soldering station to replace my old Nicholson soldering pencil which is good but whose replacement tips are hard to find. There is only so much life one can eke out from it by filing and re-tinning and it's about time I 'graduated' to something better.
wink.gif
Most of the Weller and Hakkos I see on Ebay do not accept 240V mains input. I've also seen a few stations that look like Hakko clones on Ebay. Not sure how reliable they are but they will work with 240V mains and are substantially cheaper. I don't know which or what to go for. All I'm looking for is something decent that gets the job done without much hardship or damage to components. Replacement tips must be readily available too, otherwise the station is as good as an expensive paperweight once the tip is gone.

Any recommendations from aussies and those beyond? Cheers and TiA!

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, just bought me one of those. how cool is that for the price?

Nice, innit
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #27 of 46
but it's £38 inc tax then add shipping...........936 is expensive enough tbh.

Maplin do sell antex tho :S

Yeah, they must be hakko clones - but at least i trust aouye more than some of the other clones.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but it's £38 inc tax then add shipping...........936 is expensive enough tbh.

Maplin do sell antex tho :S

Yeah, they must be hakko clones - but at least i trust aouye more than some of the other clones.

Yes, but worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I saw it I wondered which was the clone
smily_headphones1.gif

The problem is, you really need some kind of temp control for some jobs, and decent temp controlled irons aren't cheap. These stations are much better value overall and make life much easier. Having said that, for occasional light use, the little Antex irons or the Xytronic, (if you want to use lead-free solder), would be ideal.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls206 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys, I think I'll opt for the antex xs iron
The Aoyue stations look good value, maybe when I've got a bit more dosh
tongue.gif

Good move.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't be tempted by too high a wattage, though, unless you intend to go lead-free. When the tip is too hot you end up with it oxidising too fast, and it makes life hard work.

Happy Soldering
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back