Soldering Iron / Tips
Dec 14, 2004 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lilac_Wine

100+ Head-Fier
I have a degree in electrical engineering, but only a little experience with soldering. I am planning on building a Cmoy for fun and need some advice on soldering irons and tips on soldering. I would like to eventually build higher end amps, but figure I should practice a bit first.

I was thinking of this soldering iron:
http://www.contacteast.com/product/g...parent_id=1666
Weller Adjustable Soldering Station - $52.
I saw it recommended on Tangent’s website.

Does anyone have experience with it? Is the tip it comes with ok?

Does anyone have a good tutorial / refresher on soldering?

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 3
You can get the Weller for $36.95 from MPJA

I bought one a few months back and used it for a little while. The iron died after a few hours of use. MPJA sent me a replacement free of charge which was nice though. I haven't used it all that much to comment on its reliability though.

The tip that comes with this iron is a bit big for soldering resistors and stuff. It is doable, but harder than need be. I would recommend you buy a smaller tip to go with it.

When my Weller died I purchased a Hakko 936 clone. See this thread for more info. Overall I like the clone much better. The iron feels better and I like the design of the station better. My only complaint is that the handle gets too hot.

Currently I use the clone with a small tip for soldering circuits. The Weller has a big tip that I use for soldering plugs, jacks and other big things.

I recommend either buying the Hakko clone or the real Hakko 936.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back