soldering iron advice and where to get 63/37 solder...
Apr 3, 2006 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

splaz

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I was just hoping someone on here would have some advice in regard to these soldering irons or other better options that are as easily obtainable. I'm upgrading from a true cheapie to a somewhat less cheap iron. I can't really justify spending alot at the moment but have a budget of around $40-60 AU. There were two I'm interested in.

Goot 13W pencil - $40

I've heard some good things about this goot. Would be better for the PINT as well. Is 13W sufficient for bigger tips though ?

Micron 30W adjustable - $40

As for the micron, is adjustable worth it if it isn't a station? That is the main doubt in my mind about it.

But I had these lingering in the back of my head.

Goot 46W - $60

This goot is a bit pricier and to me doesn't justify spending the extra money over the 13 watter for my purposes and budget. Still not out of the question though, especially if the pencil iron isn't adequate.

Micron 20W - $30

A basic and cheap iron just to fall back on if I can't make up my mind.

Antex CS/XS 18W - $60

Looks nice but is an expensive option that I likely won't get unless highly recommended. Plus I don't really like RS, they try to rip you off too much...

Sorry if these are all no name brands and that they're all fairly cheap. But usually with everything theres some good offerings aimed at cheap minded indivuals.
biggrin.gif

Also lastly. Anyone know of anywhere that sells 63/37 solder in Australia and preferably Perth ?

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 6
If the Micron 30W has a ceramic heater in it, then I'd do that one. But if your willing to put out the extra dough for a more efficient iron, go with the 46W Goot because of its ceramic heater. Still, I think the Micron 30W will suit you just fine. The 13W is much too weak for most applications. I don't live and have never been to AU so I cant help ya with the solder.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 6
I have the 13watt goot Iron myself. It's fantastic for what I bought it for, Ludicrously small traces and SMD component. However get it near anything like a large cap and it won't even melt the solder. This iron is strictly very small work only.

I bought the 43watt goot iron about a month ago though I never realised it's potential because it was damaged in transit. The heater was snapped so it never actually heated up more then the 13watt iron.

When I returned it Jaycar was having a special on the Duratec TS1560 station, which was only $10 more then the Goot iron so I bought that and haven't looked back.

Anyway If you're only going to have 1 good iron make it at least 25watt. So my pick of the bunch would be the Goot 43watter.

Ummm why do you need 63/37 solder? The standard 60/40 works just as well.

Apr 3, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I have the Weller WLC-100 soldering station, around $52 US (+ tips) from Mouser http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?hand..._pcodeid=57802
Mouser's product catalog listing: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/625/1659.pdf It's called an "economy" station, but that's compared to their workhorse $150 version. Definitely a better option than Radio Shack and puts you closer to the "pro" level.

I don't see any advantage to using eutectic (63/37) solder unless you are doing something differently(?)- the 60/40 stuff will work just fine. Control of your soldering iron heat using a good technique with the correct tip is more important than the type of solder. A better quality iron will allow you to do both.

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Well I have about three or four hundred dollars more than I thought I did. No, not gonna get a station, still too expensive for me to justify. Plus I have to buy some toroidal transformers, a case or two and maybe get some parts from the US so I'll need some extra left over.But definitely gonna get the goot now that I have money to melt.

As for the 63/37, I know it's not essential, I was just told that it's nicer to work with and I wouldn't mind trying it if I could get some.

edit: Finally found the Goot model no. Its a PX-232. One last quesiton before I go and spend my money though. Would this be 'delicate' enough for surface mount work with a 0.3mm tip ?

If it's not I was thinking of possibly getting the pencil one, CXR-30 I think, for surface mount at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back