Solder and Hookup Wire Q's
Jan 23, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I recommend you buy the wire from this auction: Link

Thanks! I ordered some, it came so soon I wasn't expecting it. Unusual colors (white, yellow, orange, green, blue striped), but the standard ones bore me. Clearly a surplus buy. Could be an issue for others...

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
Thanks! I ordered some, it came so soon I wasn't expecting it. Unusual colors (white, yellow, orange, green, blue striped), but the standard ones bore me. Clearly a surplus buy. Could be an issue for others...

Same colors I got. I originally bought it to make a HD650 cable, but decided to use it as hookup wire instead. 5 different color wires is what I like to use for amps. 3 colors for signal and 2 for power. I don't care what the colors are. I bought 500ft of white wire for other stuff. Big spools are cheaper if you can deal with all one color.

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #18 of 20
I like using CAT5e twisted pair for hookup wiring and even for static (non flexing) ICs. Although my magnet wire ones sound better...

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Although my magnet wire ones sound better...

I built a tube preamp with magnet wire and that stuff sounds pretty great. I spent a lot of time getting the varnish off the ends (sanding and cleaning after) but it works nice and stays in place!

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
The RadioShack silver solder has a high melting point and is thus difficult to use. It also seems to be murder on tips.

-d

My local Radioshack has two kinds of silver bearing solder, one that comes in a 1/4 oz. tube and is lead free and one that comes on a 1.25 or 1.5 oz spool and isn't lead free.

The lead free stuff is exactly as you decribe, too high a melting point, and eats tips.

The other stuff on the spool is what I'm using now tho, and I like it much better, melts easily, flows well, and seems lighter on the tips.
-Blazerfrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back