Sold some bitcoins; help me spend my monies
Apr 19, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #61 of 74
@Katzky

Hi.

I had seen that you now are considering utilising monoblock amplifiers to power an SR1a.

Had you cancelled your previous order for that HSA-1b, together with that SR1a?
Yeah I decided to do this the right way. Need to have every detail finalized otherwise I’ll get overwhelmed. Finally got my bartok (was using the dealers for almost a month waiting for mine. Need to let it burn in for a couple of weeks.) The mono block approach is pretty low risk since I could just use them in my 2 channel system if I don’t love the sr1a. Well I’m also going to demo the hsa1b. Also decided to demo a couple of sources I hadn’t initially considered.

Welcome to my world where it’s generally the third iteration of a plan that gets implemented. Also recently four people completely unprompted said I need a turntable. Working that into my 2 channel. A lot going on for a person who forgot to eat for six weeks.

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #62 of 74
Yeah I decided to do this the right way. Need to have every detail finalized otherwise I’ll get overwhelmed. Finally got my bartok (was using the dealers for almost a month waiting for mine. Need to let it burn in for a couple of weeks.) The mono block approach is pretty low risk since I could just use them in my 2 channel system if I don’t love the sr1a. Well I’m also going to demo the hsa1b. Also decided to demo a couple of sources I hadn’t initially considered.

Welcome to my world where it’s generally the third iteration of a plan that gets implemented. Also recently four people completely unprompted said I need a turntable. Working that into my 2 channel. A lot going on for a person who forgot to eat for six weeks.
Had you decided that you now would not, additionally, be trying an electrostatic system?

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #65 of 74
buy a wavedream dac
cans: Focal utopia, TC abyss, Verite open and hifiman susvara
as for amps, DNA tube amps would do you great. for SS id get ifi pro ican

For speakers, id get ATC SCM150ASL

Apr 27, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #67 of 74
1619545384628.png

May 16, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #68 of 74
There is no "best at everything" - however there are headphones that are better than others in many or maybe even most (but not all) areas
100% this is true. Also worth learning as quickly as possible, what type of head-fier are you, do you want to collect many headphones to form a collection that satisfies all of your needs, or do you prefer one pair of headphones that are good for the genre you listen to the most and for the rest it is
I'm pretty annoyed that I never jumped on the bitcoin bandwagon.
Being early seemed not to be the issue (knew folks that owned 30+ BTC), not selling it early was the problem, they regret not keeping it, haha.
In that price League there are the statement products
- Sennheiser He1
Definitely a turn key solution, I spent some time listening to HE-1 in 2016, but must say that you get one of the best systems, but completely lose out on the overall head-fi experience, of buying/trying things out, figuring out what you personally like and eventually feeling great that you had this wonderful journey and settle down with a system that you know you built for yourself instead.

May 16, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #69 of 74
Yeah the journey itself can be the main experience for many.

And even when you reach total summit fi, the curiosity never dies.
There is so much stuff I'd still like to audition.
Hand selecting each component gives a special satisfaction in the end

May 17, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #70 of 74
Well I was a bitcoin miner starting in 2012. My wife was pretty upset with all the computers & ASICS in ever room of our house. I just did it for fun and stopped in 2013 to save my marriage. Jk. It is weird that the value of those bitcoins is multiples of the value of my labor from 15 years working as a ”highly compensated” software engineer. I tried to give away some bitcoins to friends/family In 2012/3 but none of them would even bother to create a wallet. Fortunately I set up wallets for my nieces and nephews so now they’re all “bitcoin millionaires“ and they don’t even know it. Unfortunately it never occurred to me that bitcoin could get so valuable and now the tax implications are significant.

Sorry... not intending to brag it’s just I’m still in shock over bitcoin’s appreciation. I’ve been unable to work or do much of anything interesting for five years. Something happened to my brain and I now have very little sense of passage of time. For instance I was going to call a friend because I promised to call her back. Well I was calling her but that previous conversation was 10 years ago. I hadn’t spoken with her in a decade and I’m acting like we just spoke yesterday and tried to continue the conversation where we left off. Also I forgot to eat for about six weeks.

wow... I’m way off topic. The point I think is that having bitcoin right now has given me some hope that no matter what happens to me my family will be able to live comfortably. It’s also neat that my daughter who was six at the time helped me set up the mining equipment. I explained all the details about bitcoin And was probably the only kid in her class who could describe a one way function.
Do you know what neurological issue you have?

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #71 of 74
Do you know what neurological issue you have?
Unfortunately I don’t have a diagnosis yet. Did a bunch of tests in 2019- early 2020. Needed additional testing but the pandemic happened and I haven’t left my house since March 2020. Did go to the bank once last spring. It’s some form of working memory problem. In 2012 I was able to do calculus in my head but at some pointed started having problems doing basic math. One day I remembered that I told a friend I’d call her back to finish our conversation. I called her and was like “sorry about that” and tried to pick up where we left the previous conversation. She had no idea what I was talking about because I hadn’t spoken with her in years. That was weird because I thought I just recently had the conversation. It really felt like it was last week. Eventually (several years later) I realized that everything felt the same as if everything happened at the same time last week. I stopped experiencing the passage of time. Could be a function of my once photographic memory. Having almost complete replay of the first 40 years of my life causes some problems. Everything from the distant past is as relevant as whatever actually happened last week. My long term memory is still very good but Its difficult to see images in my mind. I also have no idea what I’m thinking about 99% of the day. Everything has become stream of consciousness. it’s difficult to project into the future being permanently stuck in the present moment. I have something I need to mail but it’s been five years waiting. Doubt I’ll ever mail it because five years is just last week from my POV. I also once forgot to eat for a couple of months. Now I sleep in my living room near the kitchen so I’m reminded that food is necessary.

it’s all very strange to me.

Oct 9, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #72 of 74
Hi y’all I’m back. Got sidetracked from the headphone system when I put the Bartok in my speaker system. Spent last several months upgrading including a Rossini with clock. Bought a Naim Atom HE for my daughter. It’s a very nice system but it’s not like the Bartok. Going to get the new Linn Klimax streamer for the speaker system. The Rossini is going to Be the source for my headphones. Also purchased a big ass oled television. Which is weird since I’ve not owned a television or wanted to watch television since the mid ‘00s. This lead to creating a home theater which didn’t work out with the shortage of components this summer. Also installation in the space would be very difficult requiring ripping up the floors, ceiling, walls and installation of new walls. Gave up on the idea and the Linn can do 7.2(?) with only a few ethernet cables. Will do 4.1 so I can watch the Kraftwerk 3D concert in surround sound.

This ate a big chunk of my budget so I’m skipping electrostats. Settled on SR1A with their amp, a Benchmark headphone preamp, Focal Utopia, and HD800s. Not really ott like I’d imagined but I also completely rebuilt my speaker system and my family and I can use it to also watch movies in high fidelity.

Ill post some pictures once everything is in place.

thanks for your help.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #73 of 74
Unfortunately I don’t have a diagnosis yet. Did a bunch of tests in 2019- early 2020. Needed additional testing but the pandemic happened and I haven’t left my house since March 2020. Did go to the bank once last spring. It’s some form of working memory problem. In 2012 I was able to do calculus in my head but at some pointed started having problems doing basic math. One day I remembered that I told a friend I’d call her back to finish our conversation. I called her and was like “sorry about that” and tried to pick up where we left the previous conversation. She had no idea what I was talking about because I hadn’t spoken with her in years. That was weird because I thought I just recently had the conversation. It really felt like it was last week. Eventually (several years later) I realized that everything felt the same as if everything happened at the same time last week. I stopped experiencing the passage of time. Could be a function of my once photographic memory. Having almost complete replay of the first 40 years of my life causes some problems. Everything from the distant past is as relevant as whatever actually happened last week. My long term memory is still very good but Its difficult to see images in my mind. I also have no idea what I’m thinking about 99% of the day. Everything has become stream of consciousness. it’s difficult to project into the future being permanently stuck in the present moment. I have something I need to mail but it’s been five years waiting. Doubt I’ll ever mail it because five years is just last week from my POV. I also once forgot to eat for a couple of months. Now I sleep in my living room near the kitchen so I’m reminded that food is necessary.

it’s all very strange to me.
I actually heard of this. I was reading some spiritual meditation books and they told a story of a person who had a neurological issue that made them only perceive the present moment. In this story they explained how this person did not feel pain. As pain is a construct of past and future as well. He was getting some sun outside and started getting sunburned and didn’t notice. Got so bad that he had 3rd degree burns or something and had to go to hospital. I’ll try and find the book so I can find the diagnosis.

Do you feel pain? Do you feel calmer as your not thinking in past/future as much?

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #74 of 74
If you ask this quite general questen and want to spend the amount HE1 is the right answer.

If you start studying deeper there are many alternatives. EG go Stax route (MSB Dac > Diy T2 >
SR-009S) or Ortho :
MSB > Pass 150 > Hifiman Susvara
Where can one find the parts to build a DIY T2 these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back