Sold some bitcoins; help me spend my monies
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Katzky

New Head-Fier
My current setup is Roon -> dCS Bartok -> HD800. Already mentally committed to upgrading to dCS Rossini + clock so I need a separate headphone amp and headphones worthy of a $40k+ source. I listen to most genres but chamber music is most important.

Mar 29, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 74
My current setup is Roon -> dCS Bartok -> HD800. Already mentally committed to upgrading to dCS Rossini + clock so I need a separate headphone amp and headphones worthy of a $40k+ source.
Two days ago you posted in another thread:
I just bought a dCS Bartok upgrading from a Berkeley Alpha & Naim V-1.

This seems to set a record in upgrading very expensive equipment in very short time.

Since you ask for help to spend your money:
  1. Hire someone who takes care of your audio equipment. Creating a job has positive effects, in particular during the pandemic. Or:
  2. Keep your existing equipment and donate excess money to charities.
If you need support in deciding between options 1 and 2: Go for option 2.

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 74
Two days ago you posted in another thread:

This seems to set a record in upgrading very expensive equipment in very short time.

Since you ask for help to spend your money:
  1. Hire someone who takes care of your audio equipment. Creating a job has positive effects, in particular during the pandemic. Or:
  2. Keep your existing equipment and donate excess money to charities.
If you need support in deciding between options 1 and 2: Go for option 2.
This is Summit-Fi so I doubt my setup is excessive. Really just looking for advice re new headphones, an amp, and possible cables.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 74
Headphones would probably be Hifiman Susvara or Abyss 1266 TC or maybe the Focal Utopia, but really they are more like side-grades to the HD800 at a higher price.

For the amp, it depends on which headphone you get. If you really have the cash, I would look into higher end speaker amplifiers to drive the headphones.

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 74
1. HE1.
2. MSB combo + Abyss Phill TC.
3. Invest in audio project and request what you want.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 74
If you ask this quite general questen and want to spend the amount HE1 is the right answer.

If you start studying deeper there are many alternatives. EG go Stax route (MSB Dac > Diy T2 >
SR-009S) or Ortho :
MSB > Pass 150 > Hifiman Susvara

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 74
Since it's cool have a great music listening experience by listening to headphones at the same times with your spouse or friends ... just buy two or three HE1's :)

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 74
For your particular music selection, it will be hard to surpass the refinement of the SR1a. The question would be commissioning a direct-drive amplifier like the Uberamp or delving deeper with power amps and the interface.

Depending on exactly how you feel about the Bartok and HD800 (if a little sweetness would be preferred) the DIY T2 and 009 is incredibly difficult to beat. More competent in resolve than the more passive HE1.

At these levels, you play to the refinement of your preferences.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 74
For your particular music selection, it will be hard to surpass the refinement of the SR1a. The question would be commissioning a direct-drive amplifier like the Uberamp or delving deeper with power amps and the interface.

Depending on exactly how you feel about the Bartok and HD800 (if a little sweetness would be preferred) the DIY T2 and 009 is incredibly difficult to beat. More competent in resolve than the more passive HE1.

Thanks for your input. Yesterday I was reading about the sr1a for the first time. Definitely going to give them a try.

HD800 are the only non iem I’ve ever used. Was always interested in electrostats but never had a chance to hear them. Is the Blue Hawaii still the best commercial amp for Stax? When I posted this topic I was considering 009 + the blue Hawaii amp & gs-x2 + Utopia (based on reviews I read when they first came to market.) Now adding in the sr1a I’d need 3 amps.... is there a high quality amp that can drive electrostats and dynamics?

Would the 009 be a one headphone solution for all genres? Is the 009s the version to get or the original 009?

I really appreciate your input. I have a neurocognitive disorder which has Now made it difficult for me to read through forums like this and really understand nuance.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 74
Since it's cool have a great music listening experience by listening to headphones at the same times with your spouse or friends ... just buy two or three HE1's :)
Thanks for the advice. Not sure he1 is right for me because I don’t have time to wait for it the be built but I requested they contact me so I can get a better idea what’s involved.

Looking at your profile it’s clear you have extensive headphone experience. I always wanted to try Stax but never had opportunity. I’d greatly prefer only having 3 headphones. The only headphones I’ve ever known are hd800. Which Stax model is the best for all genres? Is the 007.2 sufficiently different from 009/009s to get both? Would it make sense to buy all 3? Could you live with only electrostats?

I have developed a neurogognitive disorder which has lately made it difficult for me to read through forums and really process nuance across multiple threads. I tried and I got overwhelmed. So I do appreciate your advice.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 74

What do I need to make the sr1a work? The uberamp appears to be bespoke and I’m just not capable of doing that. Does it just connect to a regular 2 channel power amp through the interface? I read it needs 100w. I have a Naim 80w amp that I am replacing in my speaker system. Do you think that would work?
If you ask this quite general questen and want to spend the amount HE1 is the right answer.

If you start studying deeper there are many alternatives. EG go Stax route (MSB Dac > Diy T2 >
SR-009S) or Ortho :
MSB

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 74

SR-009S) or Ortho :
MSB > Pass 150 > Hifiman Susvara
Thanks for your input. I’d love to hear MSB but my neighbor is a dCS dealer and I prefer to support local businesses and he’s always been good to me. I thought the dCS tol was expensive.... enter MSB. Yikes.... Ideally I’d spend less than $100k total.

im definitely going to get a Stax. Based on research from 8 years ago my thought was Stax + blue Hawai. Is that still the king of commercialky available combos? Any reason to get 009 or 007 vs 009s?

What is the Pass 150?

Thanks for you assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back