Sold my HD800s and looking to get an open-back headphone for under $500
Jul 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

maclenltd

New Head-Fier
My headphone quest originally started with the HD555's which I loved but outgrew. I picked up the HD600s, which had a very tight clamping force that I didn't find very comfortable. I tried various AKG headphones and the NAD VISO, but ultimately bought the HD800s, which served me well for many months until I got tired of the extremely revealing treble (and needed the money). 

I'm now looking for a decent pair of open-backs with a wide-soundstage and somewhat relaxed treble. I was thinking about the Grado E series, but unfortunately can't demo any in person so I'm not sure what model would fit my needs. I'm looking for something comfortable without a tight clamping force on my head. 

I'm also aware of the value of amping headphones and have had Violectric amps in the past, however I will not be using any amps for these headphones. They're primarily going to be for just sitting back and relaxing. Sources will be iPhone, iPad and PonoPlayer

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 9
I too started my head-fi journey with the HD-555 many years ago, I'm a huge fan of the Fidelio X2, I found the whole frequency spectrum to sound natural(not necessarily "neutral") and are my favorite headphone (of my collection) sub $500.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 9
  I too started my head-fi journey with the HD-555 many years ago, I'm a huge fan of the Fidelio X2, I found the whole frequency spectrum to sound natural(not necessarily "neutral") and are my favorite headphone (of my collection) sub $500.

I've read good reviews of the Philips. How is the comfort level in your opinion?

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 9
  I've read good reviews of the Philips. How is the comfort level in your opinion?

Fantastic unless you have a rediculous hat size

Users who are viewing this thread

Back