Sold my ATH-M50x, now what????
Jan 4, 2016 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

garboui

New Head-Fier
Needed a new pair of office headphones last year and wanted something over the ear and better than my lowly PX-100's. Found the ATH's for $120 (CDN) on sale and decided to take the plunge as they seem to be relatively universally recommended.

After trying to like the cans based on their reputation I decided to set them free and begin my quest for a new pair of cans. The issues that I had with the ATH's is that they were fatiguing after 15-40 minutes depending on the music. I generally listened at low enough levels so i can hear someone shouting my name as well. They were also bassier than I liked. This had lead to me doing what I dont like doing, EQ'ing. Attenuating the lows and highs helped some with the fatigue but it was still there and also now not sounding all that detailed. 

Where do I go from here? What I know now is that a bassy or V shaped headphone is not what I want. Is going open going to solve my problems? But also using an an office environment so open may not work. Add a crossfeed? Please let me know some suggestions where I can go from here, my budget is in the same area as the ATH's but am willing to entertain up to and in the low $200's CDN (willing to wait for a deal).

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 27
Going open-back will not solve your problems, because open headphones have diverse sound signatures just like closed-backs do.

If you want a great-value open headphone that is very comfortable and not bass-heavy but still has decent bass, the Philips SHP9500 is a solid choice. It can also be modified to enhance the sound.

If you need closed, I actually like the M30x and M40x more than the M50x and many other headphones in your price range.

You did not describe what made the M50x fatiguing for you, though. Feel free to elaborate. (As you can see in the measurements, the M50x does have very boosted bass, but the upper frequencies are not emphasized at all, and even less so due to the bass overwhelming them.)

One headphone I like much more than all of these is ironically one that only costs $15 or so: the Koss KTXPRO1. But it's semi-open and needs EQ, especially if you don't want extra bass. (I found that reducing all frequencies below 600 Hz solved most of its problems in the bass and lower mids, though it does sometimes sound more exciting without EQ.)

If you want the absolute best sound quality in your price range, the STAX SR-30 (rare electret from the 1980s) easily wins in that category. (Though subjectively I like that Koss even more.) However, although it doesn't leak much sound compared to most open-backs, it's uncomfortable and requires either an electrostatic headphone amp or an electret adapter + speaker amp to even work. I also found that its bass distorts at very high volume.

Headphones in your price range that I have owned but don't like as much as the ones I've mentioned include: Apple iPod Earphones, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, JVC HA-M55X, Logitech Ultimate Ears 350, MartinLogan Mikros 90, Monoprice 8323, NVX XPT100, Pioneer SE-300, Sennheiser HD 280 PRO, Sony MDR-7506, Sony MDR-V6, Stellar Labs 35-5960, V-MODA Crossfade LP

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 27
k4 those look like an attractive option price and performance wise. the onlty thing that concerns me looking at some product photos with the female model. They look huge! While the M50's are large phones too, I have a small head and used them with the headband in its smallest position. I will have to see if I can find these retail side to test fit. 

EDIT: Alchemist, The bass focused nature was definitely one source of fatigue for me. Something about the highs and mid-highs in the  M50's just didn't resonate well wit me. I cant but my finger on it exactly but the effect is that it almost hurts.

I like the thrifty suggestion of the Koss though I would prefer to stay away from the on ear phones. Even the dainty PX-100's would cause discomfort that would keep me from putting back on later in the day.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 27
  k4 those look like an attractive option price and performance wise. the onlty thing that concerns me looking at some product photos with the female model. They look huge! While the M50's are large phones too, I have a small head and used them with the headband in its smallest position. I will have to see if I can find these retail side to test fit. 

EDIT: Alchemist, The bass focused nature was definitely one source of fatigue for me. Something about the highs and mid-highs in the  M50's just didn't resonate well wit me. I cant but my finger on it exactly but the effect is that it almost hurts.

I like the thrifty suggestion of the Koss though I would prefer to stay away from the on ear phones. Even the dainty PX-100's would cause discomfort that would keep me from putting back on later in the day.

I have a small head as well and can confirm that the XPT100 is more comfortable than the M50x. It also has a more linear sound signature, but I don't really like the sound much, honestly. It lacks dynamics. Did not respond well to EQ and amplification, either.

Do you know whether it was the upper frequencies themselves that were producing fatigue? You mentioned that you reduced them with EQ, but it was still fatiguing. It's difficult to determine the cause from this limited information. Perhaps try reducing them even more and see what happens?

Fair enough. For me, on-ear headphones are comfortable at first, but can become uncomfortable after awhile.

If you are listening in an office, I guess open headphones won't work, because everyone else will clearly hear your music. It's too bad, because the SHP9500 is far more comfortable than the others.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 27
Yeah, I can't do on-ear either. I like to listen for hours at a time, and that design is not suited for that. Painful after a while, no matter the material.

The Sennheiser Momentum series is quite laid back, and non-fatiguing, with world-class timbre, if I do say so myself. The 1st Gen models had smaller earpads, but if your ears aren't too big, they might be fine. The 1st Gen is a lot cheaper now that the 2.0 is out.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 27

I have a small head as well and can confirm that the XPT100 is more comfortable than the M50x. It also has a more linear sound signature, but I don't really like the sound much, honestly. It lacks dynamics. Did not respond well to EQ and amplification, either.

Do you know whether it was the upper frequencies themselves that were producing fatigue? You mentioned that you reduced them with EQ, but it was still fatiguing. It's difficult to determine the cause from this limited information. Perhaps try reducing them even more and see what happens?

Fair enough. For me, on-ear headphones are comfortable at first, but can become uncomfortable after awhile.

If you are listening in an office, I guess open headphones won't work, because everyone else will clearly hear your music. It's too bad, because the SHP9500 is far more comfortable than the others.

Regarding the high frequencies, I did eq them down, but by the time that the upper range is no longer fatiguing I have reduced to an amount that wipes out all detail.  I am not super sensitive to highs but something just does not resonate well with me here.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 27
Yeah, I can't do on-ear either. I like to listen for hours at a time, and that design is not suited for that. Painful after a while, no matter the material.

The Sennheiser Momentum series is quite laid back, and non-fatiguing, with world-class timbre, if I do say so myself. The 1st Gen models had smaller earpads, but if your ears aren't too big, they might be fine. The 1st Gen is a lot cheaper now that the 2.0 is out.

I was actually going to mention the MOMENTUM, as I owned the original, which I would describe as having a warm and non-offensive sound. But then I looked at the current Amazon prices (over $200) and figured that other countries would be even more expensive, so it may not be attainable in Canada brand new at ~$140 USD (200 CDN).

Regarding the high frequencies, I did eq them down, but by the time that the upper range is no longer fatiguing I have reduced to an amount that wipes out all detail.  I am not super sensitive to highs but something just does not resonate well with me here.

Yeah, I dunno. If you're taming the highs so much that the detail is gone, it shouldn't be fatiguing at all.

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 27

The momentum's seem like they can still be had in the $170CDN area so they are definately on my list now. I have a better feeling i would be able to find a retail outlet to audition them first too. Can you comment on how they compare to the second gen?

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 27
I have no personal experience with the 1st generation, but from what I've read, they are close to identical in sound, with the 2.0s having slightly better bass.

PS. They come in both on-ear and over-ear. So be careful which one you're looking at.

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 27
I have no personal experience with the 1st generation, but from what I've read, they are close to identical in sound, with the 2.0s having slightly better bass.

PS. They come in both on-ear and over-ear. So be careful which one you're looking at.

owww thanks for bursting my bubble lol. still a contender since i can audition them locally.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 27
  Going open-back will not solve your problems, because open headphones have diverse sound signatures just like closed-backs do.

If you want a great-value open headphone that is very comfortable and not bass-heavy but still has decent bass, the Philips SHP9500 is a solid choice. It can also be modified to enhance the sound.

If you need closed, I actually like the M30x and M40x more than the M50x and many other headphones in your price range.

You did not describe what made the M50x fatiguing for you, though. Feel free to elaborate. (As you can see in the measurements, the M50x does have very boosted bass, but the upper frequencies are not emphasized at all, and even less so due to the bass overwhelming them.)

One headphone I like much more than all of these is ironically one that only costs $15 or so: the Koss KTXPRO1. But it's semi-open and needs EQ, especially if you don't want extra bass. (I found that reducing all frequencies below 600 Hz solved most of its problems in the bass and lower mids, though it does sometimes sound more exciting without EQ.)

If you want the absolute best sound quality in your price range, the STAX SR-30 (rare electret from the 1980s) easily wins in that category. (Though subjectively I like that Koss even more.) However, although it doesn't leak much sound compared to most open-backs, it's uncomfortable and requires either an electrostatic headphone amp or an electret adapter + speaker amp to even work. I also found that its bass distorts at very high volume.

Headphones in your price range that I have owned but don't like as much as the ones I've mentioned include: Apple iPod Earphones, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, JVC HA-M55X, Logitech Ultimate Ears 350, MartinLogan Mikros 90, Monoprice 8323, NVX XPT100, Pioneer SE-300, Sennheiser HD 280 PRO, Sony MDR-7506, Sony MDR-V6, Stellar Labs 35-5960, V-MODA Crossfade LP

The KTXpro1 has good sound consideing its low price, however many find it uncomfortable since it is so small. The Koss KSC75 probably has the same drivers as the KTXpro1. The KSC75 has ear hooks though instead of a headband. Both of these are open though, and provide no isolation.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 27
  The KTXpro1 has good sound consideing its low price, however many find it uncomfortable since it is so small. The Koss KSC75 probably has the same drivers as the KTXpro1. The KSC75 has ear hooks though instead of a headband. Both of these are open though, and provide no isolation.

Yes, it gets quite uncomfortable for me after awhile, unfortunately. They're basically the same drivers, except the KTXPRO1 is flat-backed while the KSC75 is round-backed. I actually saw your comments on a review mentioning how the KTXPRO1 sounds better to you. Although the KTXPRO1 is semi-open and does not isolate from external noise, it barely leaks sound compared to conventional open headphones, and when I listen to music, I only hear the loudest of environmental noises regardless of the headphone.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 27
I like Sennheiser HD280 PRO more than M50x and Momentum 2.0.   HD280 has lighter bass and less fatiguing treble.  It has less detail than M50x but has more detail than Momentum 2.0 and more 3D/stereo.  The vocal is colder but forward sounding.  The biggest problem for me is comfort... but there are people saying HD280 PRO is comfortable enough to wear for long period of time (not me though). 

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 27
  I like Sennheiser HD280 PRO more than M50x and Momentum 2.0.   HD280 has lighter bass and less fatiguing treble.  It has less detail than M50x but has more detail than Momentum 2.0 and more 3D/stereo.  The vocal is colder but forward sounding.  The biggest problem for me is comfort... but there are people saying HD280 PRO is comfortable enough to wear for long period of time (not me though). 

This is a compelling suggestion, tho it makes me question the 2-3x price of the momentums. Playing the devils advocate, since the 280's are at the bottom of my price range what about the HD380 Pro's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back