Sold HE60 on Ebay. Anyone Here Win It?
May 31, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised this guy isn't getting hammered more for going the evil ebay way

What at $400 - $500 less than it was being offered on here. Hammer a way I'm content with saving the money .....
orphsmile.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would have to reterminate to a Stax 5-pin plug. [AK] Zip offers two options, a permanent retermination and an adapter cable. I own the latter but Alex says the former is a better long-term solution.

Isn't the former easier as well? I thought the Stax plugs were way easier to get than that extra Sennheiser socket you would need.

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #49 of 64
I love my HE-60's. I have used an 007t amp, and am currently using a Woo Audio GES.
I also borrowed a friends Orpheus HEV-90 and ES-1 amp, and it makes a big difference.

Enjoy!

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #50 of 64
I think amplification makes a significant difference too. I swapped out the stock tubes out of my 006t and the sound really changed a lot. immtbiker, does amplification make a bigger difference than the source (specifically with regards to the HE60)? In just over a week, I'm going to be back home and will be trying the 006t/HE60 combo with a X-03SE. I'm hoping for massive improvements over my Audiophile USB. It'd be funny to try taking the X-03SE's digital coaxial out and feeding that through the Audiophile USB's DAC
biggrin.gif
As the X-03SE is fully balanced, it'll be my first time listening to my system fully balanced too. I'm back home for a good two months so... yipee! I'm so looking forward to comparing my headphones to the speaker system.

Michgelsen, only Alex would be able to tell you that. I really have no idea. The permanent Stax retermination is supposed to be better sounding too.

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #51 of 64
The amp is equally as important as the source, as well as the IC's.

If the amp wasn't an integral part of the sound chain, then we wouldn't really need Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
!

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my HE-60's. I have used an 007t amp, and am currently using a Woo Audio GES.
I also borrowed a friends Orpheus HEV-90 and ES-1 amp, and it makes a big difference.

Enjoy!

can you tell us how different they are, between 007t and woo?
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

hev90 and es1 are beyond my budget for now so.. i dont need to hear too much about them.. more i hear more my wallet is going to suffer..

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would have to reterminate to a Stax 5-pin plug. [AK] Zip offers two options, a permanent retermination and an adapter cable. I own the latter but Alex says the former is a better long-term solution.

Yes, I firmly believe the former method is superior, as I did the latter first for about a month, and I believe the SQ a bit better. Of course, this is NOT for those afraid of committment. Easy for me as I find the HEV70 wretched, and unworthy of the phones, and an adapter to work with it can't hurt the SQ any further..

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #54 of 64
iirc, Alex told me he CNC'ed the parts for the adapters. I'm finding it difficult to muster up the courage to send my HE60 to the USA for a holiday
wink.gif
UK to US is too much hassle. Maybe HK to US is safer: HK postal service >>> UK postal service.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #56 of 64
So no one in UK or Europe that does this? To my ears I just love the HEV70 with the he60 so if these amps make a good difference then well ... If it wasn't that the amp can get so warm I don't think I'd think of the change.

Any links to people that sell adapter or recable?

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #57 of 64
IMHO, the HE-60 electrostats are one (I said one) of the nicest headphones in our hobby. Of course, they don't sound as good as the R-10's or their papa: the HE-90's, but they do sound better than the HD6XX family and the AKG 701's and even the Omega II's (by a smidge). They're a class act, and oh, so comfortable.

With that said, a good amp, that is worthy of helping them do what they do best, is a necessity, not an option
wink.gif
Otherwise you could have gone for a cheaper electrostat like the Stax 303's and 404's.

The HEV-70 is not even close to being a worthy partner. Besides the audio inadequacies, a lot of people (including myself) eventually complain about a hum given off by the amp.

You can get a Stax 007t on the used market for about $900.

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

The HEV-70 is not even close to being a worthy partner. Besides the audio inadequacies, a lot of people (including myself) eventually complain about a hum given off by the amp.

What kind of hum is this? A steady 60Hz hum or something similar, or is it similar to noises that a tape recorder would make? My HE60 sometimes makes those little noises but they always go away after a little while and there seems to be nothing predictable about them (sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes a bit louder, sometimes a bit longer). I feared that it could be a dust problem, but since I have no other amp to plug them in, I'm not sure at all.

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #59 of 64
Dust makes more of a squealing noise (high frequency). The HEV-70 exhibits more of a 60htz low level hum that is noticable when the music isn't playing.
Mine does it in both channels and doesn't alter pitch or intensity. Sennheiser offers a known fix for it, for a fee of course.

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Dust makes more of a squealing noise (high frequency). The HEV-70 exhibits more of a 60htz low level hum that is noticable when the music isn't playing.
Mine does it in both channels and doesn't alter pitch or intensity. Sennheiser offers a known fix for it, for a fee of course.

Is this just a US problem then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back