Solar Powered Head-Fi
Apr 16, 2008 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

VeipaCray

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of building a small Solar rig to power my head-fi gear. Has anyone done something like this or has experience with solar circuits? I'm looking at my recent electric bill and am feeling a little guilty about plugging all of my new toys in.

Since everyone concerned with power seems to be running a dedicated circuit for their audio gear, I was thinking maybe a small Solar setup would let me run my gear for free and give a unique dedicated circuit.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Help?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 7
For solar rigs, you will need some energy storage setup and a large amount of outdoor surface area for the solar panel. (so that they suck up the rays as much as possible when it is sunny, and still able to provide power when sun took a hike to the other side of the globe.)

But one big problem tho, the cost of going solar is rather high for initial investment. I haven't checked recently, but when I did a while back... "Holy crap" was my conclusion when I saw the price tag on the panels. :p

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 7
The LD doesn't draw much power anyway, I would use the solar panel money on upgradding the stock tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 7
what you could also do to cut the costs is install an underground pipe. around 2 meters under the ground, the temperature is a constant 11/12 degrees throughout the year. thus you dig it up, install a pipe, one end at the back of your garden or something ro let air in. then you use then air in the winter for your boiler (temp gradient is less, so less costs), and in the summer for cooling you house (and its free, except for the pump which is almost negligible). unfortunately i don't know much else about the technology, but im sure google wont let you down. and also this is almost definately quite a lot cheaper than solar.

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LD doesn't draw much power anyway, I would use the solar panel money on upgradding the stock tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought the amp off a head-fier with the stock tubes already upgraded.
biggrin.gif

Nice setup... we're both using the Entech 203.2 to switch between sources.
I know it doesn't draw that much power... hence the reason it might be a good candidate for a small cheap (hopefully) Solar rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But one big problem tho, the cost of going solar is rather high for initial investment. I haven't checked recently, but when I did a while back... "Holy crap" was my conclusion when I saw the price tag on the panels. :p

Yeah, but the cost of running conduit through the house + installing a circuit + wiring down to the panel in the basement...etc. I'm not sure how big of a panel I would need. I'd have to do some research and also measure the power draw of my gear. A 10 Watt solar panel can be had for under $100.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally tho, I'd just turn A/C or heating to a slightly weaker level and turn off all lights that's not in use... :p it should be more than enough to cover the equipment's power consumption and more.
wink.gif

I'll do that as well, but I would still like a dedicated circuit for my audio gear. The solar rig + some kind of deep cycle battery to store energy would give me a completely isolated circuit free from power fluctuations (i think). I'd need to check on the power inverter specs but converting power from a battery back to AC should be fairly clean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UseName /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno how useful this is for you application, but it is very cool technology that most people never heard of.

The World's Most Efficient Heat Pump

My neighbor across the street owns a HVAC business. They just installed a new AC unit / furnace for me last year. He'd whack me upside the head if I told him I wanted to replace it.

Gautam > interesting. With my luck, I'd have a skunk crawl up in the pipe and die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back