Sol Tracks HDs vs. ATH-M50s?
Nov 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Greeneyberg

New Head-Fier
It's Black Friday, and I'm trying to buy a decent pair of headphones to take wherever I go. I have narrowed it down to the Sol Tracks Hd and the ATH-M50s. I went to best buy to try them on, but the Sols were the only ones there. I really like that the Sols are comfortable, portable, have detachable cables and they have a removable cable. The one thing I don't like is that the bass and instrumentals REALLY overpower the vocals (I'm not by any means an audiophile, btw). Aside from that, I'm in love with everything else, especially the style.

So let's say that I make up my mind and get the Tracks HDs, but use an equalizer to get more out of the vocals. Would an EQ be helpful to make the vocals stand out more? If someone with the Sols could tell me, that would be really helpful. (the vocals are great on any song that doesn't have much instrumental parts if that helps)

If there's no possible way to get the Sols to sound more balanced, I'll probably get either the M50s or something else that you guys rrecommend. But only if the answer to my first question is no.

I losten to rock, rap, hip hop, some electric, and a lot of alternative.

On more thing: the Sols are $70 on amazon right now, and the M50s are $102. I would prefer the less expensive pair.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 12
I personally love the M50's. They have a great sound its deep and warm, but not over-powering. I don't find it ever gets muddy or too pronounced.

I haven't really listened to many Sol Republic products, only one to be exact.. but I don't remember what model it was. I remember being surprised but I wasn't a fan, as you mentioned seemed a little to bass heavy.

Just my two cents. Hope I was but a little helpful.

Cheers

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 12
  I personally love the M50's. They have a great sound its deep and warm, but not over-powering. I don't find it ever gets muddy or too pronounced.

I haven't really listened to many Sol Republic products, only one to be exact.. but I don't remember what model it was. I remember being surprised but I wasn't a fan, as you mentioned seemed a little to bass heavy.

Just my two cents. Hope I was but a little helpful.

Cheers

Thanks. I am leaning more towards the Tracks because they're less expensive and they look great. I'm trying to figure out if an EQ would help with the sound of the Sols

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 12
  I don't know if you have considered this but take a look at the noontec zoro hd. Has the sound of the m50 but with better aesthetics IMO and it's more portable.

I took a look at those, but the build quality is not nearly as good as the m50s or the Sols. I want a pair of headphones that will last for a long time

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 12
I listened to the UE6000 at Best Buy and they seem just about as bass heavy as the Sols. I'm not in love with the light blue, either. Also, the v-moda m80's are $170 now. I'd rather go for $120 or less. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 12
yeah they're just as bass heavy but IMO they have a better overall sound, plus they have the option to turn off their bass boost/noise cancelling things. OVERALL if durability is what you need in a bassy headphone go for the crossfade lp/lp2 or ath m-50. The m-50s really are great even if I find they are a bit overrated, just be sure you get the straight cable version.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

Users who are viewing this thread

Back