SOL Republic Tracks HD review.
Apr 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

pkurk

New Head-Fier

[size=small] Before you read anything just know I'm trying to come from as objective a perspective as possible. [/size]

[size=small] Before purchasing the SOL Tracks HD I've owned bose qc2's, monster studio beats (like 3 years ago), sennheiser hd 428, and now currently sennheiser hd 439's and shure SRH840's.  Ive also tested almost everything under the sun.[/size]

[size=small] My review isnt going to be as traditional as the rest on this forum this is my first post.  So here it goes.[/size]

[size=small] I never use any of my cans for critical listening or anything other than for entertainment value, because i dont do anything with music other than listen.[/size]

[size=small] Let me also say, I hope nobody is turned off by the SOL Tracks HD because of the image monster projects, or what one might assume or dislike about the way they look or the image theyre trying to fall into.  Briefly, i think this company does a much better job than monster, by leaps and bounds.  Dont judge a book by it's cover, just try these out and i think they definitely built this with emphasis of wanting no connection with the beats.[/size]

[size=small] As far as overall quality, I think that the SOL republic's are extremely well built and very high quality. Almost indestructable and made from solid materials that make you know youre holding a good product, something i feel is lacking with the sennheiser he 428 and 439's.  The build surpases the beats and the bose in my opinion.  When you hold them you know youre not holding a cheap piece of garbage.[/size]

[size=small] The headband is completely able to bend backwards without cracking and the headphones themselves are metal and solid plastic. The pads in the headband and on the ear cups are of higher quality than the Beats STUDIO (which i have to say i absolutely despise as a headphone) and the Shure SRH 840's. It reminds me much more of the pad quality that bose has. Very comfortable and the seal is great for isolation.[/size]

[size=small] As far as sound comparison i was listening to Mozart's Requiem, K. 626. I listened to it a few times with the shure 840's then the same with the Tracks HD. Then i would listen to specific parts and switch back and forth from the Shure to SOL Tracks HD. For the Shure being known as one of the most flat and honest headphones you can purchase i have to say the Tracks HD impressed me. There were several things that stood out. For example in the very beginning of the song when you can hear the orchestra jostling and moving slightly and the clicking of people wetting their lips i could hear it just as clear with the SOL's as i did with the Shure 840's. The one benefit is that the SOL's appear to be a tad bit louder which i find to be a plus. It helped bring out the hidden and more delicate sounds.[/size]

[size=small] To judge soundstage i like to listen to live released recordings of phish.  I was impressed.  The SOL Tracks HD brought the music to life where as the shure 840's and the senn hd 439's werent nearly as "alive".  They were evidently more flat which is good and has its purpose, but for listening enjoyment i have to say the Tracks HD came through again.  They seemed to accentuate the crowd much more than either other set of cans.  I think the fact that theyre naturally a louder set helped make this evident.  But none the less it was there and it sounded better.[/size]

[size=small] One notable difference between these sets of cans is that there is an extended bass response with the SOL versus the Shure 840's. Now for critical listening this would be a negative, however for your every day commute and easy listening set of phones it is very tasteful unlike the Monster studio beats or the Klipsch Image One's. The beats were obviously colored and amplified but to a level where the mids and highs would give off a muddled response that shouldnt be there. With the Tracks HD i do not notice this. The bass is more tasteful like the sennheiser hd 439, but it is definitely more alive. It also is a louder set of cans than all mentioned other than the studio beats.[/size]

[size=small] The sound isolation is great, almost as good as the shure 840's if not the exact same. It doesnt cancel noise so you wont be able to block out everything like you can with the bose Q line, but it still does its job. They isolate out the sound of the subway in NYC and almost all other noise much better than my senn hd 439's.[/size]

[size=small] Overall, this is a great set of phones. If you're not using headphones for anything but listening to music during a commute or while working out or just for pleasure, i would highly recommend these over any other set ive ever owned or tried to be honest. Theyre comfortable after several hours of listening, theyve tastefully been colored to make the bass more evident but not to where it sacrifices quality of music and the mids and highs are evident and clear.[/size]

[size=small] Everything considered, for daily use and making your music come to life and considering the price which ranges from $129-$139 i would give these a 9/10. For critical listening they get a 4/10 because of the evident bass coloration. Comfort i give a 7.5/10 (i prefer over ear rather than on ear and something like the sennheiser he 439's). Quality of build a 10/10.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] If youre into electronic music, dubstep, triphop, progressive trance, or anything of the sort this set is absolutely amazing.  I also really listen to a lot of classic rock and pink floyd both the wall and dark side of the moon sound amazing through them, there is no distortion and the bass is not overwhelming what so ever.  Listening to Phish live tracks is amazing as well, the soundstage is great overall[/size]

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 25
I just brought these a few days ago, I'm using the Fiio E5 Amp too. Sounds great with it. I'm just looking for another headphone that's really good with Acoustic and not so much Bass but has the detachable replacement wire option like the SOL... Since all of my headphones pretty much ended with the pulling on wire accidents........

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 25
I just brought these a few days ago, I'm using the Fiio E5 Amp too. Sounds great with it. I'm just looking for another headphone that's really good with Acoustic and not so much Bass but has the detachable replacement wire option like the SOL... Since all of my headphones pretty much ended with the pulling on wire accidents........

Then i would absolutely say the shure srh line. Depending on budget. The 440 or higher would be an excellent choice especially if youre amplifying them with a fiio e5.

May 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 25
Just asking, Im new here and thirteen....And i am looking for a good pair of headphones for my sony nwz-E354(e series) mp3 player(last gen). so i listen to Metal,electronic,d'n'b,dubstep,techno, and some piano and i was wondering should i get these or the fanny wang 1003 headphones?

May 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
Just asking, Im new here and thirteen....And i am looking for a good pair of headphones for my sony nwz-E354(e series) mp3 player(last gen). so i listen to Metal,electronic,d'n'b,dubstep,techno, and some piano and i was wondering should i get these or the fanny wang 1003 headphones?

I would suggest something entirely different to be honest.  After many hours of use, they actually hurt my ears a lot and cant be used for prolonged periods of time.  I no longer use them and i wouldnt recommend these headphones to anyone. What does your budget look like?  If you're interested in on ear headphones i would suggest anything from Grado.  The Grado SR80i are cheaper than the SOL republic and GUARANTEED better quality.  If your budget is a little higher the SR125i are about $150.  It all depends on quality.  Here are some links to the headphones on amazon, scroll to the bottom to read reviews. 

And please take my word for it, just because a pair of headphones might be popular amongst your friends it doesnt mean it's good, it just means that it was marketed well.  If you do the research and read up on the products youre buying youll probably head in a different direction.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR125i-Headphones/dp/B0006GCCWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336394933&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336394839&sr=8-1

May 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 25
I've demoed them, and while they aren't bad, I could never buy them. The lack of a rotatable cup or at least the lack of a cup that isn't completely fixated to the position and orientation of the headband, is a terrible design flaw that makes them very uncomfortable for long term wearing. They are very similar to zound in terms of that design choice, and it is a very poor choice IMO.

May 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:
I've demoed them, and while they aren't bad, I could never buy them. The lack of a rotatable cup or at least the lack of a cup that isn't completely fixated to the position and orientation of the headband, is a terrible design flaw that makes them very uncomfortable for long term wearing. They are very similar to zound in terms of that design choice, and it is a very poor choice IMO.

Yeah, i used them for an entire day right after i got them.  I had them on head for about 8 hours.  I kept on having to adjust them, my ears physically hurt after a certain amount of time.  The next morning it felt like someone punched me in the ears and my left ear was ringing for the first few hours after being awake.  I wasnt even listening at high volumes, i kept it the same as i always do with my SRH840s, or as i did with any Senn pair i had.

May 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 25
Believe me i know what you mean....I hate beats, why? Because there bass muddy's up the high's mid's and treble. I just want headphones BETTER than beats with the style factor in there. i had sony mdrpq2.....And they were better than solo hd's. Not as bass heavy but definitely clearer and more robust. So what i want are headphones with a good amount of style....But not crappy sound(i.e skullcandy,beats,apple ibuds) i am thinking of getting either the v-mod crossfade lp/vm80, AKG Q460 Mini On Ear Headphones or

Pioneer HDJ-500W DJ Headphones (White). But i will check out those links you posted...thanks!

May 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
Believe me i know what you mean....I hate beats, why? Because there bass muddy's up the high's mid's and treble. I just want headphones BETTER than beats with the style factor in there. i had sony mdrpq2.....And they were better than solo hd's. Not as bass heavy but definitely clearer and more robust. So what i want are headphones with a good amount of style....But not crappy sound(i.e skullcandy,beats,apple ibuds) i am thinking of getting either the v-mod crossfade lp/vm80, AKG Q460 Mini On Ear Headphones or

Pioneer HDJ-500W DJ Headphones (White). But i will check out those links you posted...thanks!

You can never go wrong with an audio technica m50.... highly recommended, super cool.  you can find them in white.  i highly recommend these for what you want.

May 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

ALso, i'm personally not a fan of on ear phones.  After about 30 minutes with ON ear phones i cant stand it.  Over ear is definitely the way to go hands down.

May 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 25
although the sound is awsome...the bulky design kind of make's them less mobile for my taste :/. sorry if i'm being a prick or any thing. i like the look of the white m50's but still aren't that good fit for my taste's. Sorry. how about.....im kinda out of stylish yet good sounding headphone ideas except for the ones i previously stated :/. Any more recommendations? sorry he he.

May 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
although the sound is awsome...the bulky design kind of make's them less mobile for my taste :/. sorry if i'm being a prick or any thing. i like the look of the white m50's but still aren't that good fit for my taste's. Sorry. how about.....im kinda out of stylish yet good sounding headphone ideas except for the ones i previously stated :/. Any more recommendations? sorry he he.

See youre talking to an audiophile so my perspective isnt going to match with yours as far as recommendations.  I walk around the streets with Shure SRH840's on, theyre about as ugly and as big as you can get.  But im old so i could care less what people think about me because i'm enjoying my music.  So headphones that will get you laid.... well whats your budget?  What's the absolute most youre gonna spend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back