Sol Republic Master Tracks vs Beats by Dr. Dre Studios
Apr 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cib21

New Head-Fier
Hello, before i make the change to the master tracks could you give me your opinion on which should i choose. I already have the beats (didnt pay full price like the other suckers $80) but I dont know if its a upgrade or a downgrade. Help me plz 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 13
It's probably more of a side-grade than anything, I haven't heard any of the Sol Republic offerings but I'm sure you could do better for the price. Also, are you sure your Beats are real if you only paid $80 for them? There's a lot of fakes out there.

What music are you listening to and what's your price range?

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Those rapper endorsed phones are double to triple the price of what they should be. They aren't bad headphones, but are bad for the price you would pay. I was listening to some Beats at the Apples Store with my E07K. They weren't terrible, but they weren't engaging in any respect. The mids and treble were there only because they had to be. Even the bass, boomy, but just booming because it can. For 200-300, there are many other headphones. I own the BT Harman/Kardon's and they have simply amazing sound. Colored? Yes. But not insanely colored. They have a sound that brings you into the music. And with rap, like Jurassic5's In The House, putting the E07K's bass to 4, you get punch galore, where they can almost lift off your ears, but clean punch. B and W was far more expensive than the HK's, priced 50 more the the P5's, which aren't as comfortable, isolate less, aren't bluetooth and the cable isn't detachable. The P3's are the same price, but no isolation and the bass sounded fake compared to the P5's. The line-up of B and W is still much better than the Beat's lineup, and the Sol Republic are likely similar, so even though pricey, B and W is still a better bang for your buck than Beats. HK is really good value really. They BT sound better than the classics, are over ear (classics aren't) and have bluetooth for 50 more than the classics. The phones are well built too. Really, if you want Beats sound, go to a company that is priced well for that sound. If you want 200-300 sound, get a set that is 200-300 sound, not rapper making money from you sound. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
It's probably more of a side-grade than anything, I haven't heard any of the Sol Republic offerings but I'm sure you could do better for the price. Also, are you sure your Beats are real if you only paid $80 for them? There's a lot of fakes out there.

What music are you listening to and what's your price range?

I though they were fake but i compared them to the real thing ...and they were better...

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Those rapper endorsed phones are double to triple the price of what they should be. They aren't bad headphones, but are bad for the price you would pay. I was listening to some Beats at the Apples Store with my E07K. They weren't terrible, but they weren't engaging in any respect. The mids and treble were there only because they had to be. Even the bass, boomy, but just booming because it can. For 200-300, there are many other headphones. I own the BT Harman/Kardon's and they have simply amazing sound. Colored? Yes. But not insanely colored. They have a sound that brings you into the music. And with rap, like Jurassic5's In The House, putting the E07K's bass to 4, you get punch galore, where they can almost lift off your ears, but clean punch. B and W was far more expensive than the HK's, priced 50 more the the P5's, which aren't as comfortable, isolate less, aren't bluetooth and the cable isn't detachable. The P3's are the same price, but no isolation and the bass sounded fake compared to the P5's. The line-up of B and W is still much better than the Beat's lineup, and the Sol Republic are likely similar, so even though pricey, B and W is still a better bang for your buck than Beats. HK is really good value really. They BT sound better than the classics, are over ear (classics aren't) and have bluetooth for 50 more than the classics. The phones are well built too. Really, if you want Beats sound, go to a company that is priced well for that sound. If you want 200-300 sound, get a set that is 200-300 sound, not rapper making money from you sound. 

I was considering the Bt harman but i never had a chance to test them out. Oh and when you say rap fyi the only rap i listen to is Epic rap battles of history.. (im into electronic)

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Well if you are focused on electronic, then beats really won't do it justice. The lows on those things really kill separation in the mids. I listened to bill withers use me on them and the bass just seemed to mask the guitar. I bought the hk without listening to them, and with little reviews on them. Most reviews were on the classics. Glad I didn't get them, the classics are on ear and sound nothing like the bt according to what was said on here.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I was considering the Bt harman but i never had a chance to test them out. Oh and when you say rap fyi the only rap i listen to is Epic rap battles of history.. (im into electronic)

If you can, try out the ATH-M50. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It regularly goes on sale online for around $115-120. Or maybe look into Ultrasone.

Quote:
Your avatars being the same confuses me scrolling this thread.
tongue.gif

Haha yes sorry
tongue.gif
Lurked here a while just now got an account.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Perhaps the M50's are too bass heavy, according to some here. Some say are are a less muddy beats. This bass could mask the mid bass and mids, which are a major part in electronic music. Always busy. Also. Drums are deleted with to much bass, leading the drums into constant boom, not distinctive. With an amp, you can crank bass down, but if you are going right from the source, you are stuck with the sound

May 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Perhaps the M50's are too bass heavy, according to some here. Some say are are a less muddy beats. This bass could mask the mid bass and mids, which are a major part in electronic music. Always busy. Also. Drums are deleted with to much bass, leading the drums into constant boom, not distinctive. With an amp, you can crank bass down, but if you are going right from the source, you are stuck with the sound

I'm totally with you on this!

I just got a set of the SOL REPUBLIC Master Tracks for review in The Daily Swarm.  Since I try to cover affordable (and sometimes popular - which is why we covered BeatsByDre years ago) audio there - I end up with some of these -endorsed by- cans that are more style than substance.

IMO - thus far - the Master Tracks need alot of time to open up.  Out of the box, the bass seemed sluggish, mushing up the lower mid-band and the mids.
After 100 hours, things opened up.  Now, I still think spending another 50 bucks on a pair of Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs would be a FAR better buy - these aren't
as bad as I thought.

But your observation about muddy bass destroying the rest of the audio spectrum is SPOT ON!
Alot of high end audio components muck things up because they're just going for SLAM

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 13
I don't know if you've already bought your headphones, but at the moment, the new Beats Studios and the Master Tracks XC are available. If you are talking about the older versions, definitely the Master Tracks are the way to go. However, the new Studios have a pretty decent sound, much better than its predecessor. But the Mater Tracks XC are on a whole another level. Aside from Bose and Bowers & Wilkins, the Master Tracks XC are probably the best soubding headphones onn the market, and put that together with its stylish design and Calvin Harris logo and you get something amazing. So either way, I would suggest the SOL Republic alternative over Beats, but spend a little bit more and buy a pair of Bose Quitecomfort 15 or Bowers & Wilkins P5/P7 if you are more concerned about the sound than the style

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 13
I want some more Master Tracks XC reviews. I loved them when I listened to them in store, but I didn't get to listen to my music, only the demo music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back