SOHA vs. Darkvoice...
Nov 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bhostinsky

New Head-Fier
I just recently built 3 SOHA amps, the basic kit from GlassJarAudio, 1 that used boutique parts, and 1 using the same boutique parts readied for the JISBOS boards. I cannot be more pleased with the sound of the SOHA, but was wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison between any of the DV amps the SOHA?

Thanks,
Brian

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 9
That's one of the big reasons I was wondering. I know they both have their advantages and disadvantages, so was wondering overall (sonically) how they compare.

Thanks,
Brian

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 9
Hi,
I haven't heard a darkvoice but have two tube amps, a SOHA (with diamond buffer) and an M3 in my slowly growing collection of headphone amplifiers.
My tube amps are a Morgan-Jones using 3x6922 and a single-ended C3G based amp with a tube rectified psu using two chokes.

My overall favourite is still the C3G because it resolves extremely well and in general feels very "realistic", or "close to life". That might be due to the minimal parts count in the signal path and no electrolytic capacitors whatsoever in the amp...Bass quality is surprisingly good with a nice punch.

The M3 being a solid state amp sounds very very neutral, has earsplitting dynamics and rocksolid bass, also resolves very good but lacks a bit the "intimate atmosphere" of the C3G. I will try some other opamps on this one...

The SOHA is my latest addition and not even cased up but sounds surprisingly good given the relatively low cost. In fact it is quite difficult to find any particular weakness...it might be a tad on the warm side but then it doesn't have the mileage of my other amps. For sure it is a stunning little amp!

My Morgan Jones using a much better psu than the original schematic is a little bit behind in comparison to the others...slightly softer and loosing very fine details here and there. Some people might prefer it though for longterm listening..

Hope this helps...

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks, that really does help. I've been very pleased with my SOHA and didn't know how it compared with some pure tube amps. For price and complexity, it looks like the SOHA is a keeper.

Thanks,
Brian

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

For price and complexity, it looks like the SOHA is a keeper.

Definitely!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AKChastain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much difference did the boutique parts make in your different SOHA's? Do you think it was worth the increased price?

I *think* if you search for those very words here (SOHA boutique difference) you'll find threads about this. I personally have a hard time hearing the diffs (using AAC 256k rips), but for $10-$20 extra for decent upgrades its worth it for the piece of mind if nothing else.

Wanted to say tube/opamp rolling in the SOHA gives it different personalities. If you search for like SOHA favourite tube or somesuch you'll see opinions on this. I've taken a liking to Raytheon CK5814A / OPA2107, but GE 5963 / OPA2134 is not bad either.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 9
The difference was noticeable, but not dramatic. The Wima caps in the signal path and Vishay resistors definately helped, and would recomend to anyone building a SOHA to go that route, especially for only a few dollars more.

I have to agree with Cfcubed that the tube/opamp rolling gives you the most bang for the buck. I haven't experimented much with the opamps because of the rave reviews that the JISBOS received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back