SOHA or Millet Max for Grados
Sep 27, 2007 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Walie

500+ Head-Fier
Thinking of getting a tube amp for my sr-225s. I'm thinking of commissioning someone to build me either a SOHA or millet max. Which one would be best?

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 10
The SOHA is not in the same class as the Millett MAX. Amb/Steinchen's Jisbos buffers may bring the SOHA to another level, but that remains to be seen.

Dash is also correct - there is also a tremendous gain issue with the SOHA. While tube rolling is tremendous fun with the SOHA, all the 12AU7 variants are about 18-20 gain. Whereas the Millet's selection of three types of tubes all have varying gain - the 12FK6 the least at about 7 and less when in the circuit.

The MAX's deep Class A bias, fully discrete output stage is more than a match for any Grado.

Sep 27, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking of getting a tube amp for my sr-225s. I'm thinking of commissioning someone to build me either a SOHA or millet max. Which one would be best?

I just wanted to tell ya that I have a SOHA and a 225 and they make a great combo. Gain is not that big of a problem with a 100 ohm resistor on its output. Which is what I have . I think the SOHA gives you more options with tube rolling and when the JISBOS bds become a reality I believe the SOHA will beat the millett. That is my opinion on this subject.I have previously owned a millett with diamond buffer and I still believe the SOHA will be better with its JISBOS bds.Also, the JISBOS is going to be a class A output too which is what should put it ahead of the millett. Of course some opinions may vary.

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 10
I suppose the millett could be better in the sense that it is more neutral whereas the SOHA adds more color and fun(I think) to the music. I like an amp that I can change the sound with. With tubes the SOHA can have quite a change in its sound signature.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to tell ya that I have a SOHA and a 225 and they make a great combo. Gain is not that big of a problem with a 100 ohm resistor on its output. Which is what I have . I think the SOHA gives you more options with tube rolling and when the JISBOS bds become a reality I believe the SOHA will beat the millett. That is my opinion on this subject.I have previously owned a millett with diamond buffer and I still believe the SOHA will be better with its JISBOS bds.Also, the JISBOS is going to be a class A output too which is what should put it ahead of the millett. Of course some opinions may vary.

HJ, the Millett MAX has a deeper Class A output than will ever be possible with the Jisbos. You can put 100ma or more through the transistors with those extruded heat sinks on the MAX. Even Amb's latest Jisbos board shows the output transistors hanging off the edge with little stamped metal heat sinks. That's probably about 30ma max configuration.

Now, I am certain Amb will make the case that the deep Class A bias such as is available on the MAX is not really necessary. I can't argue that, but the MAX will always have a higher inherent current capability. 18VA is an absolute minimum configuration power supply - many of us have been using 40VA and the MAX seems to be happier with that.

Just to put a fine point on it - Grados are low impedance at 32ohms. They will draw more current than voltage from an amp, where a deep Class A bias will be at a better advantage.

You are correct that the SOHA's 12AU7 tube is of higher quality and more versatile. I can't argue against that.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 10
I didn't know that. You are going to make me want to get a millett max talking like that.Alright. Sign me up.Of course, after saying that I am going to try and figure out a different heatsink scheme for my SOHA.

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HJ, the Millett MAX has a deeper Class A output than will ever be possible with the Jisbos. You can put 100ma or more through the transistors with those extruded heat sinks on the MAX. Even Amb's latest Jisbos board shows the output transistors hanging off the edge with little stamped metal heat sinks. That's probably about 30ma max configuration.

The Jisbos should easily do more than 100mA, plus you don't have the large output caps. I really like the Millett but am very excited about the Jisbos SOHA.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to tell ya that I have a SOHA and a 225 and they make a great combo. Gain is not that big of a problem with a 100 ohm resistor on its output.

I plan to try the SR60 with SOHA, will any adjustment have to be made? I am a newbie but with first CMOY under my belt.

gychang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back