SOHA II Builders Thread
Mar 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #1,247 of 1,694
please help!

I have built up my board, the power supply checked out ok - everything looked good there. I strapped in J1 and J2 but wasn't able to read anything across R10L or R10R. Found out that my problem was because I had put Q6(L and R) and Q7(L and R) all in backwards. I ordered new parts, pulled all the Q6 and Q7s out and replaced them all. Powered everything back up again and was able to get the left side to work. I dialed in the current, no problems. Somehow I'm still not able to read anything across R10R. Next I tried replacing all of Q5, Q6, Q7, Q8 on the right side but i'm still not seeing anything across R10R however i am reading -15V with respect to GND at either side of R10R.

I did double check all of the resistances for R9-R15 all look ok,

Anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #1,248 of 1,694
OK here is a little more info:

So, it turns out that on the base of Q5R I am getting -8.6v but on the base of Q5L (the working side) I am getting +6V. In both Q5(L and R) the collector is correctly at +15V. R15R and R16R are the correct parts, and measuring proper resistances.

I double checked and I used the correct parts, Q5(L and R) both BC550Cs.

Not sure if this helps... but I am stumped.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,251 of 1,694
Are these voltages measured from the bottom of the board or the top?? In either case they are almost all bad voltages. But as soon as you tell where you took the measurments we can start to debug the problem.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #1,253 of 1,694
Having a little problem getting any kind of readout on PB+ test point. I have hooked up everything except the jumpers and am getting a reading of 18.6 volts on the screws holding the yellow and black wires coming into the board. My led on the tubes light up fine so i know some power is getting to the board. However when i measure the PB+ the DMM goes crazy with no steady reading. None of the other test points measure anything. i have not installed pins into the test points, would this help. Also i have installed 100v 100uf caps in C8P, C9P, C11P and C12P and its a little crowded on the board. I see the original parts list show 22uf for C11 and C12, does this matter. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #1,254 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuna320 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having a little problem getting any kind of readout on PB+ test point. I have hooked up everything except the jumpers and am getting a reading of 18.6 volts on the screws holding the yellow and black wires coming into the board. My led on the tubes light up fine so i know some power is getting to the board. However when i measure the PB+ the DMM goes crazy with no steady reading. None of the other test points measure anything. i have not installed pins into the test points, would this help. Also i have installed 100v 100uf caps in C8P, C9P, C11P and C12P and its a little crowded on the board. I see the original parts list show 22uf for C11 and C12, does this matter. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

The parts list on the webpage is way off
biggrin.gif
I follow the schematic and excel BoM.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #1,256 of 1,694
Hey there,
I have a small problem with my soha II which only appeared recently. I start the amp and after a few minutes of music listening, i hear the click of the relay and the music stops for a few seconds. The same behaviour happens 2 or 3 times during the first 30 minutes of use but not afterward
confused_face(1).gif

I have quickly checked with the meter and nothing seems to be out of range (the amp is working flawlessly except for those random "pause").
What should i check?

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #1,257 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyTales /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there,
I have a small problem with my soha II which only appeared recently. I start the amp and after a few minutes of music listening, i hear the click of the relay and the music stops for a few seconds. The same behaviour happens 2 or 3 times during the first 30 minutes of use but not afterward
confused_face(1).gif

I have quickly checked with the meter and nothing seems to be out of range (the amp is working flawlessly except for those random "pause").
What should i check?

Normal behavior IMO, all tube amps need to warm up 30 minutes for the tubes to settle.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #1,258 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuna320 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you sure your heatsinks are isolated?

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #1,259 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Normal behavior IMO, all tube amps need to warm up 30 minutes for the tubes to settle.

The only problem is that behaviour only appeared recently, and it also happens after the 30 minutes, it's completely random, yesterday for example it did happen more than 2 hours after powering on the amp.

Could the relay be toasted?

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #1,260 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyTales /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem is that behaviour only appeared recently, and it also happens after the 30 minutes, it's completely random, yesterday for example it did happen more than 2 hours after powering on the amp.

Could the relay be toasted?

Try running with your B+ 10V's lower than what its set at now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back