SOHA I Problem
Jan 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xTr3Me-aka-Chris

New Head-Fier
Hi,

i cased up and rewired my SOHA I, when i turn it on VR1 becomes very hot and i messure 20V at the 12V testpoint. I have built in the 15V version because i also use jisbos. is the vr1 reg broken or does something else on the bord cause the extreme heat of the vr1?
i could try to build in another vr1 but im not sure if it helps. the vr1 was already broken before
frown.gif
maybe they become too hot..

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 8
VR1 =12V Fixed Regulator 78L12
So it would not be higher than too much than 12V unless you connect the pins wrongly.
Try to take a look the pins definition on the datasheet and also see clearly how people place the 78L12 from the following pics.
06101818.jpg

SOHA_mainboard.jpg

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 8
ive tried to replace vr1 with a 12v model and extra cooling but it still gets crazy hot, something must be wrong on my board..
frown.gif

but im quite sure its not the vr1 this time. do you have an idea what can cause the extreme heat on vr1? its only vr1 not vr2

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 8
I had this problem and there was a short on the PCB, the PCB's were of poor quality with a lot of shorts to the ground plane found. If you shine a light under the board you might find it and cut it out.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 8
This sounds very similar to the symptom I had when I had the power transformer wired wrong. I forgot to connect the center tap to ground, and ended up with double the voltage on one side (VR1?) and almost nothing out of VR2. That meant that VR1 would have had to dissipate almost twice the voltage (as heat) that it should have had to normally. Fortunately it didn't hurt anything.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 8
well the pcb is rly in a bad condition since it was my first self-built amp ever. i will get a new pcb and then rebuild the soha completely in a clean way.

thx for ur help anyway, this was a last try to rescue the old pcb^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back