SOHA as a preamp?
Oct 2, 2008 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
OK guys, so this isn't directly a headphone question but this is my first post in years so bear with me. Sorry its been so long, Ive been busy with school and kinda got into speakers- no offense head phones
smily_headphones1.gif

So I just got a new pair of speaks _> the Energy C7s, which sound amazing and I bought an old Yamaha M60 1985-era power amp. With the amp I bought a preamp called the Yamaha C85, but for some reason the volume and balance knobs cause the right channel to crackle and cut out. As a result of this goofy contact problem, the right channel output sounds like doodoo compared to the left and its supposed to be a top of the line pre/headphone amp.
Anywho, I have the Gilmore Lite and have been using it as a preamp now with amazing results. I have a finished SOHA that is kinda taken apart because I was gonna box it up and sell it. Now I am thinking of ditching the C85 and keeping the SOHA. Would the SOHA work as a good preamp for my speakers?
What are your thoughts?
I would like to add some tube soundage to my setup cause it just sounds too damn good if i remember correctly. The SOHA was pretty damn clean, not as clean as the Lite, but I'd rather have tube sexy warmth than pure cleanliness. Ya dig?
So what do you think would happen if I reterminated the outputs as RCA instead of 1/4" and ran my speaks through it and used the Lite to power my HD650s?

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 3
do you have an e12 in there (offset protection or muting delay).

IF not any mistake and you will blow your tweeters.

The soha gain may be a bit high, you could put some series resistance on the outputs.

other than that it will work, but you may be better with a dedictaed preamp.

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 3
People often say to go with a dedicated pre but most of the small and simple designs out there seem to be SS. What are some recommended tube DIY pre-amp designs? (links to other DIY sites could help!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back