Software Setup
Sep 26, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd recommend you to go with foobar2000. It's really flexible and minimalistic piece of sw. I use it with Kernel Streaming (output), Crossfeed and Replay Gain (SPL adjustment) plugins.

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredNinja
Hey, what software setup do you guys use/what's the best? I'm looking to replace winamp.

Why? There's nothing wrong with WinAMP, it's easier to set up than Foobar2k and (by default) looks better too. Sounds identical, with proper plugins.

The only reason I'd personally use Foobar is if I wanted a number of funky DSP plugins. Except I prefer *zero* DSP effects. If you think about it, any kind of DSP equates to distortion of the original signal.

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf
Where can the replygain plugin be found?. Is it to normalize volume?.

It's included in foobar's installer by default. It doesn't alter audio data at all, it just adds another entry into an mp3 tag that specifies the amount of gain/attenuation needed to achieve SPL of 89dBA for the corresponding file. (This value can be obtained with your soundcard's master gain set to 0dB I guess
confused.gif
.)

This is taken from f2k's site: "Analyzes the volume of your audio files, this data can be used to play all files with similar loudness without manually changing volume levels. Included in all installers."

I also don't use any DSP except for Crossfeed. It makes listening less fatiguing.

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredNinja
I am a fan of minimalistic programs too though. Does it not tax system resources much?

I've got three playlists loaded ATM and it takes about 400kB of memory when minimized to tray. But if you decide to cache mp3 files in memory, it's a whole different story
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back