Software/player to apply ATF/HRTF to music?
Mar 24, 2006 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Paendrag

New Head-Fier
I was just wondering, is there some software, or a player or what ever that applies ATF (Anatomical Transfer Function), also called HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) to music to improve the soundstage (so that the music is coming from the front, not directly into your ears) when listening with headphones? It would naturaly also include crossfeed i guess. We have dolby headphone, CMSS-3D etc. to simulate surround on headphones, but is there a good solution for stereo playback? If not, is there a reason why not? Are the effects of the head and the pinnae too complex to model with ATFs for music?

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paendrag
I was just wondering, is there some software, or a player or what ever that applies ATF (Anatomical Transfer Function), also called HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) to music to improve the soundstage (so that the music is coming from the front, not directly into your ears) when listening with headphones? It would naturaly also include crossfeed i guess. We have dolby headphone, CMSS-3D etc. to simulate surround on headphones, but is there a good solution for stereo playback? If not, is there a reason why not? Are the effects of the head and the pinnae too complex to model with ATFs for music?

If you're looking a freeware solution then Foobar/Winamp + VST Host DSP for Winamp (+Winamp Bridge for Foobar) + freeware VST plugin (there are some listed on KVR) and maybe there are one made for Foobar or Winamp too..

If youre looking a commercial solution then Foobar/Winamp + addons (or WMP + FFX-4 for WMP) + WaveArts Panorama VST (or DX with WMP).

jiitee

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 4
I recommand wave arts panorama as well. there's a 30 day trial that let you see how it works out for you. It has many different "headtypes" that let you find the best fitting engine to apply HRTF. I am lucky enough that one of the setting fits me perfectly, and it's amazing how it completely transforms the flat sound of before.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the links, but I can't get neither FFX-4 nor WaveSurround 4 (there is no way I can afford Panorama 5) to work with neither WMP nor Winamp... Can this be because I am running XP x64 (64-bit that is)? I believe both WMP 10 and Winamp are 32-bit, so I can't understand why it would not work. It may just be because I have absolutely no idea how such plugins are supposed to be installed/used. When I try to add FFX-4 (the VTS version) to WMP (under options -> plugins) I get an error message saying "the plug-in could not be added", and when I try to add the Wavesurround 4 plugin no error message pops up, but it is not added either.

In winamp I can add FFX-4 (the Winamp version), but I can't get wavesurround to work. When I try to add Wavesurround to FFX-4 I get the error message "winamp.exe - Bad Image: The application or DLL C:\Program Files ... \WaveSurroundDx.dll is not a valid Windows image."

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Edit: I have now gotten the Panorama 5 demo to work with FFX-4 in winamp at least...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back