Software HDCD decoding?
Aug 12, 2005 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Garbz

Headphoneus Supremus
Well our computers are perfectly capable of 24bit output, but is it possible to play HDCDs through computers? I have a few in my collection, and when A/Bed with HDCD on and off they sound fantastic through shanling players. Anyone knowere if this is possible through computers? I mean even DVD-A playing is possible now.

Aug 12, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 9
iirc doesnt windows media player have built in hdcd support? i think it would also need a soundcard that does 24bit
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 9
ummm I would rather have my wisdoms removed with pliers then use WMP. So... any other apps?

Aug 12, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
ummm I would rather have my wisdoms removed with pliers then use WMP. So... any other apps?

Having just having had my wisdom teeth removed in a hospital a couple of days ago, i can only imagine how much pliers would hurt :p

Whats the relationship between HDCD and SACD? Im assuming quite a bit?

Rob.

Aug 12, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz

"HDCD technology was developed between 1986 and 1991 by Keith Johnson and Pflash Pflaumer of Pacific Microsonics Incorporated. Microsoft acquired the company as well as its accompanying technology in 2000. Windows XP includes an HDCD decoder. " from wikipedia

.. doesn't look good

Aug 12, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Or from microsoft's website whichever way you look at it.

There's no realtionship between SACD and HDCD, they are two completely different standards, apparently it is possible to encode DVD-A with the HDCD codec though, but really why would you want to.

Microsoft's aquisition shouldn't stop anything. It's an industry dependant standard used everywhere. Microsoft would be annihilating the purpose of the aquisition if it turned HDCD into a proprietry standard. So loads of cdplayers around the world decode HDCD, where's the software decoders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back